Fraternity rush satisfies leaders, new recruits

Despite the weather keeping some potential new members shut in their dorm rooms, fraternity recruitment numbers are projected to hold steady with historical standards.

“We’re right on track for where we’ve been the past few years,” said Kyle Pendleton, associate director of Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Pendleton said final numbers would not be in for the next few weeks because some pledges will drop out of the recruitment process.

Interfraternity Council Vice President of Public Relations Phil Stuart said the turnout was fairly ordinary, despite the weather that turned foul the first night of recruitment.

Stuart also emphasized that no violations were recorded throughout the entire week of fraternity rush.

“Nothing really went wrong other than the snow,” said Stuart, a Medill senior.

Pendleton agreed that the inclement weather was a major factor in holding down recruitment numbers.

“The weather last week really threw a wrench into it, but we bounced back,” Pendleton said.

Estimates for final recruitment numbers hovered slightly below 350 new members, although Pendleton said late dropouts could affect the actual total.

Some fraternities were successful enough with their pledge classes that they were able to close their doors to new members early, Stuart said.

This year, potential pledges had the option of choosing an additional place to pledge, as Sigma Chi returned to campus after a four-year absence.

Sigma Chi’s first recruitment netted 27 new members in addition to its founding class of 45 members.

Spring recruitment also will feature Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s initial recruitment drive, as the national SAE organization seeks to form a colony at Northwestern.

Nick Johnson, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon, said Sig Ep’s newest pledge class totaled 32 members, the largest class in the history of the chapter. Sig Ep was among those fraternities able to end their recruitment early, closing on Friday.

“Rush went great,” Johnson said. “We’re really happy with the turnout.”

Greg Olmsted, a Weinberg freshman and one of Sig Ep’s newest pledge class members, said he was satisfied with his fraternity rush experience.

“It was pretty sweet,” Olmsted said. “I enjoyed all of the events a lot, and the people I met were great. I didn’t see anything shady going on, so I suppose that’s a good thing, too.”

Reach Joseph DeMartino at [email protected].