Rush opens with a smash

Surrounded by falling snow and the men who would soon become his fraternity brothers, Weinberg freshman Shawn Basak felt cold — but thrilled.

“That was awesome,” Basak said of his acceptance into the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity as a pledge after he accepted a bid. “I was kind of nervous, but it’s great to be chosen.”

Basak was one of many first-night pledges as Northwestern’s fraternities began their Rush process Tuesday night.

Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Kyle Pendleton estimated that about 400 men signed up for recruitment events, although he said final numbers were not yet available.

Fraternities provided entertainment and refreshments to prospective pledges, hoping to convince them to accept a bid and begin the process of becoming a full-fledged member.

Interfraternity Council Vice President of Public Relations Phil Stuart, a Medill senior, said fraternity and sorority recruitment processes are strikingly different but stressed that each has its benefits.

“The sorority system makes sure each member visits all the houses, while the fraternity process leaves it more up to the individual,” said Stuart, who visited each fraternity to make sure they were compliant with drinking and hazing rules.

Chants of “Chug! Chug! Chug!” brought Stuart to the doors of Theta Chi, but he was relieved to find that what was being chugged was cider — specifically, of the sparkling variety.

Theta Chi President David Kargman explained that the sparkling cider was part of their pledge process.

“We chant, douse them in the cider and then they’re signed up,” said Kargman, a Communication senior. Theta Chi expects approximately 25 men to pledge this year.

Thick snow showers led most of the fraternities to venture outside only when welcoming a new pledge.

Jeff Soffer, a Weinberg freshman, described his pledging ceremony into Zeta Beta Tau.

“A bunch of the guys carried me outside and sang cheers as they lifted me up into the air,” said Soffer, wearing a new ZBT shirt.

Behind him, in a makeshift boxing ring, two upperclassmen of ZBT pummeled one another in a boxing match.

Mike Bregman, a Weinberg senior and member of ZBT, stressed that helmets were mandatory and the only people allowed to fight were upperclassmen fraternity members.

Other fraternities hosted similar athletic events. Delta Chi and Pi Kappa Alpha held dodgeball games, Delta Upsilon and Sigma Chi went for an American Gladiators theme, while Lambda Chi Alpha clad members in oversized sumo outfits and had them wrestle one another.

Many prospective pledges cited prior friendships with fraternity members as an influence for them to rush.

“I’m on the crew team, and a bunch of guys on the team are in frats,” said Will Defliese, a Weinberg freshman. “I’m just looking for a bunch of guys who I can hang out with that will be like a solid group over the years.”

This year’s rush process has seen the return of Sigma Chi to the recruitment process, said Nate Linkon, IFC’s vice resident of recruitment and a Communication senior.

Linkon also said that Sigma Alpha Epsilon, a fraternity which is looking into creating a chapter at Northwestern, will be conducting recruitment in the spring.

Reach Joseph DeMartino at [email protected].