Incumbent wins Congress seat

Cook County voters helped return incumbent officeholders to their seats in Congress and the Illinois State House of Representatives in Tuesday’s election.

Democrat Jan Schakowsky easily won a fourth term in the U.S. House of Representatives for Illinois’ 9th District, winning about 75 percent of the vote to Republican Kurt Eckhardt’s 25 percent.

Schakowsky spokeswoman Leslie Combs attributed the win to high voter turnout and to voter satisfaction with Schakowsky’s constituent service and her work on progressive causes such as universal health care, immigration reform and opposition to the Iraq war.

“I think that she’s happy that her district supports the work that she does,” Combs said.

Eckhardt said he had expected to do “several points better,” adding that his campaign had believed there was about a 35 percent Republican base in the district.

He said heavier than expected turnout in Chicago and “relatively lackluster” turnout in suburban Cook County contributed to Schakowsky’s margin of victory.

“We’re disappointed that a corrupt socialist is going to be returned to the United States House of Representatives,” Eckhardt said.

Eckhardt also said that media bias helped Schakowsky, arguing that the media paid too little attention to a federal indictment filed in March against Schakowsky’s husband, Robert Creamer, which charged Creamer with multiple counts of bank and tax fraud. The indictment does not allege wrongdoing by Schakowsky, and Creamer has denied the charges.

In a statement Schakowsky released shortly after the indictment, she said she was confident her husband was innocent. The Schakowsky campaign declined comment on the matter Tuesday night. Eckhardt said he “will most certainly be back in ’06.”

Incumbent Democrat Julie Hamos won re-election to the 18th District State Representative seat with about 75 percent of the vote in a blowout victory against Republican opponent Julianne Curtis.

“I’m certainly very excited about my own race and the real support I received from my own constituents,” Hamos said.

She attributed her win to year-round work on issues that resonate with voters in her district, such as enacting a statewide assault weapons ban to replace the expired federal ban.

Curtis said Democratic “gerrymandering” of the district, which predominantly includes reliably Democratic Evanston, gave Hamos an insurmountable advantage.

“I think I did exceptionally well under the circumstances,” Curtis said. “I’m thrilled.”

In the 17th District State Representative race, incumbent Republican Elizabeth Coulson was reelected with about 54 percent of the vote, defeating Democratic challenger Michele Bromberg.

Coulson campaign advisor Bill O’Connor called the win a “major victory.” Coulson won re-election two years ago by fewer than 700 votes. Bromberg’s campaign could not be reached for comment.

O’Connor attributed the win to “a superlative candidate” who directed a strong campaign, despite a number of “tough factors” in this year’s race. In particular, O’Connor said conservative Republican Alan Keyes’ Senate campaign created difficulties for Coulson in her moderate district.

O’Connor said the win won’t have a major impact on Coulson’s policies in her next term.

“She will continue to do all those things she has distinguished herself for,” he said, including support for abortion rights and increased education funding.

Reach Michael Beder at [email protected].

Local races

U.S. House of Representatives (9th)

Kurt J. Eckardt (R) 28.47%

Jan Schakowsky (D) 71.53%

Illinois State Representative (17th)

Michele Bromberg (D) 46.3%

Elizabeth Coulson (R) 53.7%

Illinois State Representative (18th)

Julianne Curtis (R) 25.83%

Julie Hamos (D) 74.17%