Club sports: Crews, crowds create excitement in Boston

From the instant the members of the men’s and women’s club crew teams landed in Boston for the Head of the Charles Regatta, they knew they were entering a very special atmosphere.

“(The regatta) attracts some of the best rowers in the world,” women’s club president Mary Zell said. “It gave us the chance to be on the same river as some really great crews.”

The men’s and women’s national teams were both in attendance, fresh off their medal-winning turns in Athens, as well as boats from the nationally-ranked varsity team from Notre Dame.

Besides being a sizeable event, the regatta was held in a city almost unparalleled in the United States for its knowledge and enthusiasm about the sport.

The teams had time to tour Boston between their arrival last Friday and their races on Sunday, and were approached by well-wishers who recognized the crew logos on their jackets.

The race on Sunday was a spectacle in itself, with vendors lining the banks of the Charles River selling protein supplements and other wares to athletes and spectators.

The sheer multitude of the fans was unlike anything Zell had seen.

“Mostly we just get teammates and fellow rowers cheering us on,” she said. “But the course was packed with people watching.”

Unfortunately, inclement weather also attended the race. Officials shortened the course by a half mile because of choppy waters at the original starting line.

The men’s team finished 22nd and the women 37th out of 50 boats in each race.

“We were pretty disappointed with our place,” Zell said. “But what are you going to do?”

The rowers travel to Elkhart, Ind., on Sunday for the Head of the Elk Regatta. The race will give the novice rowers their first chance at competition in the fall season.

“It’s a really nice change,” Zell said, summing up the team’s experience in Boston. “Right before heading to indoor training, the toughest part of the season, it reminds us why we love the sport.”

Winning weekend

The women’s hockey club notched two 5-0 victories last weekend.

On Friday night Northwestern defeated the Penguins, a team composed of women in their early 20s, as well as a fair share of older soccer moms.

The Wildcats repeated their success on Saturday against Wisconsin-Whitewater, a team that was in their league two years ago but joined another last year.

“It was nice to get the grudge match re-initiated and win decisively,” club president Jenny Tison said.

Senior centers Christine Brooks and Susan Keplinger each recorded three goals in the two games.

The strong showings continue a trend for Northwestern’s team, which is 23-5-4 in the last two seasons.

If the promise of women’s hockey excitement is not enough to compel students to show up for the Northwestern’s next game (at 10:15 today at Robert Crown Center), the players are making “Superfan” T-shirts for their loyal followers.

“The turnout on Friday was really good,” Tison said. “And the team appreciated it.”

Reach David Morrison at

[email protected].