Storage services yield long waits, customer complaints

While most Northwestern students have finished settling into their dorm rooms and apartments, many who relied on storage company Collegeboxes still are receiving items placed in storage last spring.

Collegeboxes, Inc. — a storage company serving college and university students across the country — was created in 1999 by Duke University students in response to insufficient storage options for college students.

But the company, which has grown to serve 32 campuses across the country, has now developed a reputation of poor customer service on NU’s campus, according to some of its users.

“I would never recommend Collegeboxes to students looking for storage,” said Medill junior Janet Kim.

Kim, who is from California, received her three boxes from Collegeboxes last week, after requesting they arrive on Sept. 1.

“My whole life is in these boxes,” said Kim, who said she was forced to register twice to make sure her boxes were delivered, adding that her items almost were lost.

“Their service is absolutely unacceptable,” said Kim. “I will never use them again.”

According to Collegeboxes Vice President and Director of Business Development Josh Kowitt the student-focused business has expanded greatly to provide more service to more college campuses.

“Our goal is to become the largest storage provider to college students,” Kowitt said. “We work hard, we are dedicated to serving our students on college campuses.”

Kowitt said his company is concerned about service, but admitted that Kim’s experience is not unique.

“No company is perfect,” said Kowitt. “We’re all about the customer. We urge any Northwestern student to please contact us.”

Kowitt explained newly developed methods to improving customer service for both the company’s unsatisfied and satisfied clients.

“Our delivery servicemen can now text message directly to client cell phones, making it easier to get in and out of dorms and constantly stay in touch with the customer,” he said. “We also have GPS tracking of our trucks, so we can inform students of their location.”

Professional storage problems are not limited to Collegeboxes.

Jasmine Watkins, a Weinberg sophomore, said she had many difficulties receiving her possessions from UPS.

“It took them three times to bring my boxes to the dorm,” she said. Watkins added that she will not be having her possessions delivered next summer.

“I’m going to find family members to store my boxes as a cheaper alternative,” she said.

Weinberg sophomore Samar Rashid said she avoided delivery problems — and fees — by storing belongings last summer with friends living in Chicago. Hearing about late shipments convinced him to seek other storage methods.

Despite some growing negative sentiment toward Collegeboxes, the company still prides itself on first-rate customer service.

“We are still improving and by no means are we perfect, and look forward to serving Northwestern students next year,” Kowitt said.

Reach Christie Ileto at [email protected].