Trojans hope to contain potent Bears

No. 7 California at No. 1 USC

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Location: Los Angeles, Calif.

TV: ABC

Line: USC by 7

Records: California 3-0, USC 4-0

Why to watch: On the surface, this is big simply because it’s a rematch of last year’s game, one that cost USC a shot at the BCS title. However, if you’ll look at the two teams’ play thus far, you’ll see that this looks to be more than just a grudge match in which the Trojans will exact long-awaited revenge. Last week the Golden Bears throttled Oregon State 49-7. Meanwhile, USC was last seen struggling against a team with a tree for a mascot. Will USC finally live up to its No. 1 billing, or will there be a new sheriff in the land of Ah-nold?

No. 5 Texas at No. 2 Oklahoma

Time: 11 a.m.

Location: Dallas, Tex.

TV: ABC

Line: Oklahoma by 7

Records: Texas 4-0, Oklahoma 4-0

Why to watch: Lately this “rivalry” has been akin to that of the Yankees and Red Sox: a lot of hype, a lot of animosity, yet the same team keeps winning. Sure, Texas won this Cotton Bowl showdown as recently as 1999. But in the time since, Oklahoma has won one national championship and played for another, while Texas has mostly been on Holiday — the bowl, that is. This year may be different, as Texas has blown by most every opponent, while OU has been underwhelming in its four victories. However, OU still has Heisman winner Jason White and star receiver Mark Clayton back from a team that won last year’s matchup 65-13.

No. 17 Tennessee

at No. 3 Georgia

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Location: Athens, Ga.

TV: CBS

Line: Georgia by 13

Records: Tennessee 3-1, Georgia 4-0

Why to watch: For these teams last Saturday, it was a matter of questions. Tennessee raised them when stumbling to a 34-10 loss home loss to Auburn, while Georgia answered them in a 45-16 win over fast-fading LSU. Will the Vols’ freshman QBs be able to bounce back from their poor performance (six turnovers, five by Erik Ainge alone)? How will the Rocky Top defense stop the suddenly prolific Georgia running game (221 yards against the defensive-minded Bayou Bengals)? The Bulldogs look poised, while the Volunteers look lost. But this is the unpredictable SEC.

No. 24 LSU at No. 12 Florida

Time: 6:45 p.m.

Location: Gainesville, Fla.

TV: ESPN

Line: Florida by 3.5

Records: LSU 3-2, Florida 3-1

Why to watch: See Tennessee-Georgia about the nature of the SEC. Also, a win here could set LSU on a run, as it faces no ranked teams for the rest of the season and still has BCS (or at least SEC title game) hopes. But QB Chris Leak and the Gators must have this game as well if they wish to have any shot at claiming the SEC East lead going into their Oct. 30 matchup with Georgia.

No. 22 Oklahoma State

at Colorado

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Location: Boulder, Colo.

TV: ABC

Line: Oklahoma State by 7

Records: Oklahoma State 4-0, Colorado 3-1

Why to watch: There was little buzz surrounding the Cowboys before the season, and wins over the likes of SMU and Tulsa, while impressive, failed to gain OSU recognition. However, a convincing road win over the Buffaloes — themselves looking to put their off-season troubles behind them — would establish all-world running back Vernand Morency (176 yards per game) and the Cowboys as a force to be reckoned with.

Kansas State (2-2)

at Kansas (2-3)

Time: 6:20 p.m.

Location: Lawrence, Kan.

TV: None

Line: KSU by 3

Quick take: Yeah, so I’m a homer for putting this game here, having gone to high school about an hour from Lawrence. But KU really does have a shot at knocking off the ‘Cats for the first time since ’90.

Stanford (3-1)

at Notre Dame (3-2)

Time: 12:30 p.m.

Where: South Bend, Ind.

TV: NBC

Line: ND by 4.5

Quick take: The Irish throttled Coach Willingham’s old team last year, but the Trees have been solid, taking USC to the wire two weeks ago.