Book profiles diverse personalities of Chicago

Quoting renowned writer Richard Wright, Northwestern lecturer Alex Kotlowitz described the “open and raw beauty” of Chicago that “either kills or endows” its inhabitants.

This is the picture the acclaimed author of “There Are No Children Here” paints in his new book, “Never a City So Real” — a city of contradictions, a city “of outsiders” and a city that “doesn’t presume.”

Kotlowitz read passages from and discussed the motivations behind “Never a City So Real” on Monday night at the Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave., for a crowd of about 100 people.

Kotlowitz provided insight into a book seemingly strung together by tales of complete strangers. The book, featuring stories of nine Chicagoans that Kotlowitz either sought out or stumbled upon, attempts to characterize Chicago “from the ground up,” he said.

“Place is important,” Kotlowitz said, “but what was most important for me was the people.”

The men and women described in the book come from distinct social backgrounds, and the different passages Kotlowitz chose to read illustrate the diversity that reflects the city.

One story Kotlowitz read told of a former labor union leader hailed by Time magazine in the 1970’s as influential enough to change the “economy and the climate of the nation’s labor-management relations” if elected Steelworkers’ chief.

Kotlowitz’s mention of his name — Ed Sadlowski — drew nods of acknowledgement from several audience members.

“I love the city and the diversity,” Chicago resident Tess Schmieg, an editor and writer, said, adding that Kotlowitz’s reading captured the “best and the worst” of Chicago.

Another story Kotlowitz told presented the life of an artist, Milton Reed, who grew up in public housing and paints murals in people’s apartments.

Kotlowitz recounted one anecdote with particular relish: Reed painted, on one woman’s wall, a depiction of her pushing her boyfriend out the window into the Chicago skyline.

“(There are) some surprises not only for me but for the readers,” Kotlowitz said of his experience interacting with the people he mentions in the book.

Such contrasting stories nevertheless have “commonalities” that Kotlowitz said are found in a city as diverse as Chicago.

Asked why he didn’t include traditional aspects of the city that a guide might contain, Kotlowitz admitted that the perspective he provides is “skewed and incomplete,” but also demonstrates what he does best — tell stories.

Delving into his conviction as a writer, Kotlowitz said that he tries to uncover issues that are often not readily apparent.

Kotlowitz’s perspective struck a chord with many Chicago and Evanston residents in the audience. Some said they were drawn to Monday’s event because of the reputation Kotlowitz gained from his previous book, “There Are No Children Here.”

The award-winning book portrays the struggles of two African-American boys living in public housing in Chicago.

“(It’s) my favorite book I read in college,” said Evanston resident Rachael Rothrauff, 24, a high school Spanish teacher. “It was influential in the way (I) thought about things.”

Evanston resident and attendee Kelly Jocius, a music educator, said he “immediately had connections” with the people in Kotlowitz’s book, having known people with similar circumstances.

Reach James Shih at [email protected].