Last-ditch effort to register voters enters final weekend

Tuesday is the last day to register to vote in Illinois for the November election, and campus groups and county officials are mounting their final pushes to get students and other residents registered.

The Cook County Clerk’s office is holding a registration drive Saturday at Dominick’s Finer Foods and Jewel Food Store locations throughout suburban Cook County.

In Evanston, registration booths will be set up at Dominick’s stores at 1910 Dempster St. and 2748 Green Bay Rd., as well as Jewel locations at 2485 Howard St. and 1128 Chicago Ave. The Osco Drug store nearest to campus, 1630 Sherman Ave., is not participating.

Voters who register at the event will need to provide two forms of identification, including one form that shows the voter’s current address, such as a utilities bill or signed lease agreement.

Associated Student Government’s External Relations Committee has mounted its own push to register students. Students living in dorms received motor-voter registration cards when they checked in, and deputy registrars are stationed in Norris University Center and in dining halls around campus.

ASG also is holding a “Rock the Vote” registration drive Monday at The Rock starting at 6:30 p.m. The event will include free food and live performances by Thunk, BLAST, Significant Others and Purple Haze.

Evanston residents also can register to vote by mail. Forms can be obtained online at www.voterinfonet.com, by phone or in person at the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave., and at other locations, such as participating schools and libraries, across the city.

Voters who have changed their name or address since they last registered — even if only their campus room number has changed — must re-register at their current address.

Voters who register by mail may have to present identification at their polling place when they vote, and may not vote by mail-in absentee ballot. Mail-in registrations must be postmarked by Oct. 5.

To be eligible to vote in Cook County, students or residents must be U.S. citizens at least 18 years old by Nov. 2, and must have lived in the same precinct at least 30 days prior to the election.

Voter identification cards that incorrectly listed ward and precinct information were corrected last week when the county clerk’s office reissued voter identification cards to residents and students.

Reach Michael Beder at [email protected].