Sewer work tears up neighborhood

Sewer work tears up neighborhood

Plan to upgrade tunnel system closes roads, leaves area dusty

By Michael Beder

For some residents along Orrington Avenue, the view outside their homes resembles a war zone more than a quiet suburb.

“Noise is the worst impact,” said Nancy Goldman, who lives near the intersection of Orrington Avenue and Noyes Street. “I’m kind of getting used to it since it’s kind of been ongoing on and off on our corner here since we moved in six years ago.”

Work resumed on a sewer tunnel and other sewer improvements at the intersection in early April, according to a newsletter distributed by the city. The newsletter stated that the current round of work will allow for the “permanent restoration” of the intersection.

Other work on Orrington, which involves upgrading sewers between Noyes and Colfax streets, began about two weeks ago and is covered under a separate contract, said Dave Stoneback, assistant superintendent of operations for the Evanston Water and Sewer division.

Noyes and Colfax streets both are closed to through traffic between Sherman Avenue and Sheridan Road. A short segment of Orrington just south of Noyes also is closed.

Noyes and Orrington should reopen in early June, when construction at the intersection is complete. Colfax will reopen when the rest of the work on Orrington is finished in early July, Stoneback said.

Work also is under way on Isabella Street between Ridge Avenue and Girard Avenue, at the intersection of Greenwood Street and Judson Avenue and on Grove Street between Maple Avenue and Ridge.

The work is part of the city’s Long Range Sewer Improvement Program. Work under the program has been ongoing since 1991.

One phase of the project, which includes work on Foster Street between Sheridan and Maple and on Orrington between Emerson Street and Noyes, has been delayed because of a court dispute between two competing contractors. The rest of the work is scheduled for completion in mid-2006, Stoneback said.

Though the construction work can be disruptive, some residents say the benefits eventually will outweigh the inconvenience.

“I have to assume it will be done at some point,” Goldman said. “Ultimately, it will be good.”

Resident Mac Detner said the basement of his home on Sherman used to flood frequently before the city upgraded the sewer lines several years ago, but hasn’t flooded since.

“We have to upgrade the infrastructure,” Detner said. “That’s the situation. You can’t avoid it.”