NU senior: Final year worst yet

Seniors on the Northwestern baseball team enjoy plenty of privileges, such as sitting in the back of the bus on road trips and not having to share a seat.

But the drawbacks of being a senior on this team are turning out to be much bigger than the perks. It’s most likely the last time any of them will play baseball at such a competitive level, and it’s their last chance to put together a winning season at NU.

NU seniors Dan Pohlman, Dan Konecny, Jason Krynski, Josh Lieberman and Matt Brimmer will play the last home game of their college careers today against Northern Illinois, and said they are disappointed with the way their final season is shaping up.

This past weekend’s losses to Ohio State put the team three games out of a spot in the Big Ten tournament with one weekend series remaining in the season.

“This year has been the most disappointing in my time here,” said Pohlman, the catcher. “There have never been as many talented players on the same team, and we have never achieved less. It’s a strange thing to comprehend.”

Pohlman started at catcher this season after playing on the mound and in the outfield for three seasons. He said being a catcher helped him take on a strong leadership role both on and off the field.

Konecny, a starting pitcher, said he was very disappointed with his own performance this season.

“From a personal standpoint, I feel like I let everybody down,” Konecny said. “I don’t feel like I did everything I could have done to help this team.”

Konecny is 4-8 this season and has a 7.18 ERA.

NU baseball coach Paul Stevens said the seniors were being tough on themselves, and he focused on the positive influence the upperclassmen have on their younger teammates.

“I’m very proud of what these guys have instilled in the guys below them,” Stevens said. “These guys have a lot to be proud of for what the younger guys will accomplish. I do believe the work ethic that these guys have helped establish is something that will be beneficial to our younger guys.”

Even though the season hasn’t met expectations, Lieberman said the seniors haven’t given up on the team yet.

“The five of us really care,” the third baseman said. “Sometimes the seniors have already moved on before the season is over, but I don’t think that’s the case with us. We care about the team and we want to win still.”

When the seniors take the field, Lieberman said, it’s reassuring to know they are all there working for each other.

“If Dan (Konecny) is on the mound, I’m going to be playing real hard behind him,” said Lieberman. “It’s comforting to know that Pohlman is behind the plate.

“We know each other and know what we all can do. The best teams are teams of friends and the five of us play extra hard for each other.”