Girls rule and boys drool, so root for women

If you’re like me — a huge fan of mainstream sports — you probably aren’t dazzled by Northwestern athletics.

As far as the “revenue sports” go, NU isn’t exactly the cream of the crop in football or men’s basketball.

Granted, the school has gotten better. NU football earned a bowl bid this past year (albeit it was the less-than-prestigious Motor City Bowl against a mid-major opponent) and the men’s basketball team had a strong conference record, although eventually falling short of the postseason.

But it’s not good enough.

Besides, even when NU sports do make it into the national spotlight, critics of all kinds immediately bash everything about NU (think back to the pre-Motor City Bowl insults).

But if you’re a NU sports fan in pain, yearning for a top-10 ranking, nationwide attention and a true shot at a national championship, you’ve probably been looking in the wrong place.

Look past the testosterone and take a look at what the NU female athletes are doing.

To the chagrin of misogynists all over campus, NU women’s sports have outdone their male counterparts this year. For the coming weekend, keep your eye on three teams.

The lacrosse team is heading to the NCAA tournament for the first time in 16 years, earning at at-large bid after a dominating season.

The women’s tennis team heads into the NCAA tournament armed with a No. 10 seed.

And finally, our softball team heads into the Big Ten tournament with a very respectable No. 4 seed.

Usually, our men usually equate ‘NCAA tournament’ with ‘early vacation.’ And ‘Big Ten tournament’ is usually synonymous with ‘quick exit.’

Now I’m no feminist.