DM deadline for applications to executive board extended

For students who want to get involved on campus, the chance tohelp head Northwestern’s largest philanthropic effort, DanceMarathon, is still available.

DM co-chairwomen Melissa Borschnack and Elaine Kanak haveextended the deadline to turn in applications for the 2005 DMexecutive board. The applications, originally due Tuesday, will nowbe accepted until 5 p.m. today. Interviews for the positions willtake place within the next two weeks.

The executive board will add a new position this year that willbe in charge of advertising and designing the DM Web site atwww.nudm.org. Borschnack and Kanak said they hope the extendeddeadline will encourage students with Web site design skills toapply.

“A few people asked us for individual extensions, so to be fairwe thought we might as well extend the deadline for everyone,” saidKanak, a Weinberg junior. “It’s a busy time of year because ofmidterms, and we figured everyone could use another couple ofdays.”

Borschnack, an Education junior, said the extension was not dueto a lack of applicants. Rather she said they had received 41applications to fill about 25 positions on the executive board asof Tuesday night.

All students are welcome to apply, regardless of previous DMexperience.

“We had a big debate on whether or not to extend the deadlinebecause we had so many well-qualified applicants already,” Kanaksaid. “People seem to be really enthusiastic already.”

Kanak said they had received applications from a fairly even mixof freshmen, sophomores and juniors.

Although DM 2004 just wrapped up in March, Kanak said it helpsthe board to have the event still fresh in students’ minds whenapplying for positions and thinking about next year’s marathon.

“People were really excited after DM this year, so right off thebat they wanted to know when they could apply for exec board,”Kanak said. “In some ways, accepting applications so soon after theevent increases enthusiasm for next year.”