Bash flips for charity, prizes

Bobbing for apples, stripping to Right Said Fred’s “I’m Too Sexy” and competing to impress emcee Jeff Schell’s mom, Northwestern students proved they would do just about anything for a free trip at the 11th annual Suitcase Party on Thursday.

Weinberg junior Diana Lebiecki twirled her way to victory, winning a trip for two to San Diego after showcasing her sexy moves for 20 seconds in a dance competition.

“The two guys I was up against were both stripping, so I grabbed a friend from the crowd and started swing dancing,” she said.

About 400 students attended the event in Patten Gymnasium. The party raised a total of $33,500, up from last year’s $30,100 total. Youth Organizations Umbrella, an Evanston-based youth outreach program that provides guidance for local middle schoolers, will receive $8,500 of the total sum, said Suitcase Party organizers.

“Suitcase Party is unique in that it combines fun and philanthropy,” said McCormick senior Jeff Schell, the emcee for two years running with Communication senior Misty Lang. “You actually get to party and help people out at the same time.”

Lang attributed the event’s success to the philanthropy, free trips, and “Jeff and my sexiness, perhaps.”

Executive Co-chairwomen Aparna Raj, Marcy DelMonte and Edith Rivera presented a check for $8,500 to Youth Organizations Umbrella representatives after three hours of music, rowdy contests and giveaways.

Patten was transformed into a beachy “Suitcase Party Boardwalk” with red- and white-striped umbrellas, a light-up palm tree and lifeguard chairs. Attendees batted multicolored beach balls of various sizes around the dance floor as bands The Foster-Walker Complex and DueNow played in the background.

Members of NU Circus Troupe, including a clown, juggler and acrobat, roamed the crowd.

“We’re so happy to be able to entertain for such a great organization,” Communication freshman Matt Sheelen said. He regaled the crowd by spinning plates on a stick and balancing them on his chin. “All year we’ve wanted to be a part of Suitcase Party. This is our first real gig.”

Throughout the night, students anxiously awaited the chance to win trips to Orlando, Fla., Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New Orleans, New York and San Diego.

Luckily, masseurs were on hand to give back, neck and hand massages to tense hopefuls.

Additional prizes ranged from the desirable — two tickets to see a Blue Man Group show or a six-course dinner for two at Oceanique — to those less coveted, like a signed copy of American Idol judge Randy Jackson’s book, “That’s My Dawg.”

Three participants took part in a heated cartwheel contest for a lamp in the shape of a turtle, arguably the ultimate dorm accessory.

“I won a CD case and a $10 gift certificate to a restaurant. I was hoping for Vegas,” Communication junior Jason Ross said.

Although he won a trip to Los Angeles last year, Ross said he thought he deserved to win again for personal reasons — midnight marked his 21st birthday.

Although the night included live music, free food and other assorted activities like caricatures and henna tattoos, participants remained fixated on the chance to win trips. The emcees made sure each winner earned his coveted vacation.

To win the Los Angeles trip, three contestants were presented with a challenge: impress Jeff’s mom. The emcee’s mother, Cathleen Schell, flew in from Michigan on Thursday morning to help decide which of the three contestants would end up in sunny Los Angeles.

Although many said the trips were what enticed them to attend, the executive board and committee members stressed the philanthropic spirit of the party. Committee members completed a total of 384 volunteer hours throughout the year, helping out with the after-school program at Youth Organizations Umbrella.

“Working on a committee, I’ve grown really close with all the people dedicated to Suitcase Party,” Weinberg sophomore Laura Selby said. “It’s been a great experience working together for a common cause.”

Many in attendance said they had attended Suitcase Party since their freshman year. Medill freshman Robbie Brenner said he had heard about Suitcase Party through word-of-mouth and wanted to get involved.

“They seem like they’ve been doing great things for charity throughout the year,” he said. “It really made me want to check it out. There’s nothing I’d rather do with my Thursday night.”