Fund-raising finish line within sight for Suitcase Party after Saturday 5K

A dozen students gathered Saturday morning at the Lakefill to run the Suitcase Party 5K, one of the group’s last fund-raising events before Thursday’s 11th annual charity bash.

In 55-degree weather some runners said the sun-soaked 5K offered a refreshing break from running laps around an indoor track all winter. For others like the six-person team from Chi Omega, the race provided the opportunity to bond with friends.

But all participants ran to raise money for Suitcase Party, a student-run philanthropy featuring live music, food and free trips. The group’s proceeds this year will benefit Youth Organization Umbrella, an Evanston-based charity that strives to keep young people off the streets.

“I’m definitely not a runner,” said Christine Cheng, a Weinberg senior who ran the 5K an hour before Ultimate Frisbee practice. “But Suitcase Party is always for a good cause, and it’s so nice out.”

The 5K was one of the many fund-raising events planned by the the Suitcase Party special events committee. The committee has hosted events throughout the year, including a spaghetti dinner, a three-on-three basketball tournament, faculty wine tasting and an a cappella show.

The final fund-raising event before the party is a bar night tonight at The Keg.

“This year we’ve tried to have a greater variety of special events and attract a wide range of people,” said Aparna Raj, a Weinberg senior and Suitcase Party executive co-chairwoman. “We raised $700 at faculty wine tasting last month alone.”

Thor Gudmundsson, a McCormick senior who participated in the 5K, said he has attended Suitcase Party since he was a freshman.

“Partly I go for the chance of winning something,” he said. “But I also know people on the committees who put a lot of time into this. It’s a great event every year.”

In addition to simply donating money to an organization, the outreach committee this year sought to be more involved with the beneficiary by volunteering every week since Fall Quarter, Raj said. In the past the committee sent volunteers once or twice a month, she said.

“(YOU) is in Evanston, so we’re helping kids close to home,” said Emily Farber, a Communication sophomore who volunteered at the organization throughout the year. “I feel like we’re making a direct impact on the community.”