Low-carb diet success won’t change dining hall menus

Two and a half years ago, Weinberg sophomore Jason Hawbecker decided to try the Atkins diet with a goal of losing 10 pounds over the summer.

He lost about 35 pounds in the first month and stayed on the diet for six weeks.

“It was different,” Hawbecker said of the Atkins diet. “But I was loving it.”

The Atkins diet, created by nutritionist Dr. Robert Atkins, works by switching the body’s primary energy source from basic carbohydrates to more complex fats. By avoiding carbohydrate-loaded foods that usually are broken down first for energy, the body breaks down fat instead. The result usually is rapid weight loss.

The Atkins diet gained popularity last summer after studies found that people on low-carb regimens lost at least as much weight as those on standard low-fat diets, according to an Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. spokesman.

Alternatively, the South Beach low-carb diet also is raging with popularity. The diet, created by Miami cardiologist Arthur Agatston, calls on eaters to avoid processed carbohydrates — including white bread, sugar, cakes and pies. South Beach is emphasized as a way to good heart health and distinguishes itself from Atikins by allowing “good carbs,” such as certain fruits and vegetables, as well as whole grains.

Sales of low-carb products are expected to exceed $15 billion this year, according to estimates from the National Retail Federation. Atkins diet products, ranging from cereal bars to bread, can be found in Evanston’s Osco Drug. Fast-food restaurants Jimmy John’s and Burger King both recently began to offer sandwiches and burgers served without bread or buns. And Subway officially added Atkins-friendly wraps to its menu at the end of last year.

“It’s all about presentation,” said Tony Bakerli, general manager of food operations for Sodexho USA, Northwestern’s dining service provider. “It’s like a fever, and now’s a particular time when everyone’s on it.”

But the menus in NU dining halls are unlikely to be adjusted, according to Anne Vanosdol, assistant director for food service operations.

“There hasn’t been a real demand for low-carb, high-protein foods because we already have them,” Vanosdol said. “There’s a lot of variety in what we serve. We really try to offer a nutritious, well-balanced menu.”

Rebecca Berman, NU’s dietician, said the diet often is not successful in the long run — causing effects such as nausea, loss of appetite, strain on the kidneys and decreased muscle mass.

“It bothers me because (dieting) doesn’t teach people how to change their eating habits,” Berman said. “(Diets are) quick fixes which don’t work in the long run. People need tools and need to be educated in what a healthy diet is.”

Berman said exercise and stress reduction also are important factors that influence health.

“Diet is only part of the equation,” she said. “If you stay on (the Atkins diet) for two weeks to get the initial weight loss, it’s OK. If you were on it longer than that, I would have concerns.”

Despite Berman’s concerns about the diet’s long-term health risks, several students said they tried the diet anyway and saw immediate results.

Weinberg freshman Nathan Tenenbaum read Dr. Atkins’ book last summer and was on the diet for about four months. He said he started with a goal of losing 15 pounds over three months but dropped the weight in about three weeks.

Tenenbaum said he stopped dieting when he arrived at NU because there were not enough protein-enriched foods in the dining halls and he was satisfied with the 30 pounds he had lost.

“Once you get to college it’s very hard (to stay on the diet) because you’re not given the same food choices,” he said. “It’s hard when you have a buffet in front of you.”

Communication sophomore Doug Valenta said he tried the Atkins diet over the summer for a month and lost 10 pounds before stopping. He now uses Atkins intermittently — losing about five pounds for every week he’s on it.

“The most appealing aspect was that I could eat food that tasted good and in fairly generous quantities,” Valenta said. “And the amount of weight I lost.”