Trial of 2 charged in robberies at NU on hold pending records

The trial of two Evanston residents charged with several Fall Quarter robberies and attacks on students was postponed Thursday until Feb. 19.

Anthony L. Jones, 20, of the 1300 block of Fowler Avenue, and Tavares Z. Tyson, 21, of the 1800 block of Lemar Avenue, appeared in Cook County Circuit Court Thursday, each on a charge of robbery and a charge of theft. Evanston and Northwestern police arrested the men Nov. 22 in connection with the robbery of a graduate student, said Deputy Chief Michael Perry of the Evanston Police Department.

Jones also faces charges of attempted robbery and aggravated battery. Police said an NU student identified him as an assailant in an Oct. 3 attack. Tyson and Jones were also arrested Nov. 8 and charged with misdemeanor theft in connection with the disappearance of wallets and cell phones from a student’s apartment.

Judge Patrick J. Morse postponed the case after lawyers requested records from police.

Thomas E. Verdun, attorney for Tyson, requested that the case be rescheduled until the court can obtain time-stamped transcripts of the 911 tapes from the Nov. 22 incident. The records currently available to the lawyers do not include the time stamps, which would allow for verification of the exact time of the charged robbery.

The prosecution needs such verification to make a case against the two men, said Jones’ attorney, Mark F. Pasterski, McCormick ’84. He said that until prosecutors can prove the timing of the tape, there is no evidence against his client.

In comments after the trial, Pasterski focused on Xander Saide, the Communication freshman who police said admitted to fabricating several racially motivated crimes Fall Quarter.

Pasterski said he thinks NU, incited by Saide’s stories, was eager to blame someone for the real robberies. He said he doubts the actual offenders have been caught.

Vice President for University Relations Alan Cubbage declined to comment on Pasterki’s statement.

Pasterski also expressed concern about the inaccuracy of police line-ups such as the one used to identify Jones but could not yet comment on the specifics of his client’s case.

Verdun could not be reached for comment about Tyson’s case.

The Daily’s Angela Tablac contributed to this story