MUSIC REVIEW: Out with the old, in with the…same old

Biz Markie’s new album, Weekend Warrior, is the rapper’s first release of original material in 10 years. Markie, who is most famous for the hit single “Just A Friend,” spent the interim as a DJ, though he generally kept a low profile. While it is exciting to see a member of rap’s “Old School” return to the scene, a listen to Weekend Warrior makes one wonder if Markie made the right decision by recording again.

Markie starts off employing a tactic used by nearly every popular rapper, that of hyping himself up. The chorus of “Tear S*** Up” lets us know that “He’s Biz Markie / As you can see / He came to tear, tear, tear s*** up.” Markie doesn’t let listeners forget who he is, dropping variations of his name in nearly every song. Ultimately it wastes time that could have used to demonstrate his abilities.

The second problem on Weekend Warrior is Markie’s propensity towards repetition. On three separate occasions, he proclaims, “I got more rhymes than Muhammad Ali.” While this line doesn’t make sense, it wouldn’t be a problem if it were only used once. On multiple occasions, he also references Spike Lee’s “Do The Right Thing” and “Bonita Applebum,” a song by A Tribe Called Quest. Making a reference to something pop-culture related is a talent; Markie’s clear misuse of the technique is very disappointing. It is ironic that in “Let Me See U Bounce,” Markie proclaims, “You gotta admit that my rhymes are fresh.” One can only wonder how such mistakes slipped by the album’s producers.

At first glance, Markie’s style is catchy, and his non-standard, comic-like delivery is sure to attract many to his music. However, as Weekend Warrior progresses, one begins to realize that Markie has very little to say. Most of his songs could be summed up thematically by their titles; examples of this are the cuts “Party To The Break-A-Day” and “Turn Back The Hands of Time.”

It often seems that Markie simply tries his best to rhyme words without thinking of a general story or narrative. This hurts his music, as he winds up not really saying much in his raps. A prime example of this problem is in “Tear S*** Up,” where he says “I flip so many styles / My name should be slipper / On Three’s Company I wish I was Jack Tripper.” Yes, this does rhyme, but does it really add anything? It seems that Markie doesn’t understand that it is better to not rhyme and make a point than rhyme and have no point.

There are, however, some redeeming qualities on Weekend Warrior. The beats on the album are generally of the highest caliber. Of note is “Like a Dream,” featuring a gentle, melodic guitar riff and — the possible the highlight of the album –“Throw Back,” a rhyme perfectly suited to Markie’s style as he reminisces about the past. He presents a picture of life for him in the 1980s with the following: “African clothes and medallions was worn / When Rakim came out knowledge was born.” Markie has a clear affinity for the pioneers of rap, mentioning Grandmaster Melle Mel and Big Daddy Kane, among others.

Taken at face value, Weekend Warrior is not a good rap album, and Markie’s lack of substance and tendency to repeat himself make it difficult to take seriously. However, the beats, Markie’s interesting persona and the hilarious pictures in the album booklet, make this album enjoyable. If Markie had spent more time coming up with creative lyrics and his producers had done a better job, Weekend Warrior could have been a successful album. Look for the instrumental tracks if they are ever released, and if you decide to buy this album, don’t ever take it seriously, for you’re apt to be disappointed in B-I-Z M-A-R-K-I-E.

As a Legitimate Album C-

For Entertainment’s Sake B+