D65 board to continue talks on annual goals for 2004-05

The Evanston/Skokie School District 65 board will continue its discussion of the 2004-05 academic year annual goals at tonight’s meeting.

Members of the board said they hope to adopt a budget strategy that will provide long-term financial stability and continue to improve reading achievement at the primary grade levels.

Board member Mary Erickson said the board will push to improve area middle schools, expand enrichment programs, and address and manage the current problem of busing eighth-grade geometry students to Evanston Township High School for advanced classes in the middle of the day.

“It’s time to put a lot of things on the front burner,” Erickson said.

Board member Jonathan Baum said he also will propose a more even spread of enrichment programs for schools in District 65.

“I’m putting forward as a goal to make these programs consistently available across the district,” Baum said.

He said he also will propose that the board focus its work on increasing parental involvement and improving the social atmosphere of middle school.

Two weeks ago the board stated that the district will meet standards for the federal No Child Left Behind Act as part of its annual goals.

The board will also make a decision about continuing pilot programs in the district that create additional academic time for at-risk students.

The board meeting will convene at 8 p.m. tonight at the Joseph E. Hill Education Center, 1500 McDaniel Ave. The meeting is open to the public.