Aikido combines action and relaxation (Club Sports)

Translated from the original Japanese, the word “aikido” equates roughly in English to “the art of harmonizing of energy.” According to Northwestern Aikido club president Bart Chwalisz, harmony truly represents the core and substance of this age-old martial art.

“It’s more than just fighting,” said Chwalisz. “It’s about finding calmness, finding clarity. It has a purpose”

Although the sport integrates aspects of meditation and Zen Buddhism, plenty of sparring goes on at the club’s two-hour practices, held four times a week. On a typical day, 10-15 students (membership is around 30 total) take to the mats at Blomquist. They begin each session with a variety of stretches followed by rolling maneuvers, designed to protect the body in the event of a fall.

“Learning how to fall properly prevents injury, it’s for safety,” Chwalisz explained.

Then the sparring commences, as one of the instructors barks outs commands. Unlike some of the other martial arts such as karate and tae-kwan-do, aikido adherents rarely train without a partner. Practicing movements alone would almost defeat the purpose of aikido, as one of its most fundamental tenets stresses redirecting an opponent’s energy rather than blocking or dodging an attack.

Beginners start slowly, with an emphasis on balance and quickness, and according to Chwalisz the initial practices leave members sore but not aerobically exhausted. That comes later, as students incorporate movements that they have painstakingly acquired over weeks of training into real speed.

As practice continues during each session, sparring shifts from throws and rolls to weapons practice. The array of armaments comprises large wooden swords, smaller wooden knives, and staffs; all dangerous if misused. Although the weapons draw many students to aikido, for Chwalisz, the mental aspect proved just as important as the physical.

“I always wanted to do a martial art where the purpose wasn’t to destroy other people,” said the German international student.

Chwalisz tries to attend practice at least three times a week and has hopes of attaining his black belt at some point in the future. Unlike other disciplines, aikido only has two belt colors, black and white. The club holds a test to move up twice a year, but the process can and often does take time-many students need up to five years before earning the coveted black belt.

Aikido is open to both men and women and will still accept students for the remainder of fall quarter. Though technically not considered a self-defense art, it does incorporate aspects of self-defense. For those seeking meditation only, informal sessions are often held before practices.

IN OTHER CLUB SPORTS NEWS … Like a good portion of Northwestern’s student body, the women’s rugby squad took a Halloween trip to Madison. Their intent, however, proved different from most of the garishly clad revelers.

The bars and State Street had to wait for the team to compete in the annual Midwest playoffs. Out of 72 teams in the tournament, the Wildcats finished among the top eight.