PLAY: Music in our CD player

While some of these bands may have gained critical recognition, none have achieved widespread fame. Do yourself a favor and check out these classic releases.

Shuggie Otis, Inspiration Information

Shuggie Otis created a style of his own, most accurately dubbed as mellow, psychedelic soul. He plays nearly every instrument on this album, which includes a fantastic original version of “Strawberry Letter 23,” a later hit for the Brothers Johnson.

Cold Blood, The Best of Cold Blood

This is the only widely available release by this ’60s San Francisco band. Imagine Janis Joplin backed by Blood, Sweat and Tears, coming together to form groove-based rock and you have Cold Blood.

Kashmir, The Good Life

While finding The Good Life may be difficult, the search is well worth the time. This Danish group is similar to early Radiohead in style, with lyrics that are strange and often unnverving and a sound that matches.

People Under the Stairs, O.S.T. (Original Soundtrack)

Not to be confused with the 1991 creepy Wes Craven horror flick, this L.A. rap duo of Thes One and Double K playfully spit crafty rhythms. Additionally, the beats on this album are of the highest quality.

Jean-Michel Jarre, Oxygene

If you have any interest in electronic music, this album is essential to understanding where it all came from. The 1977 classic was ahead of its time, and embodies the word “trippy” through incredible melodies and textures.