Suit up — Industry Day unites employers, students

The Northwestern Society of Women Engineers is hoping to give students an edge in a competitive job market with its 17th Annual Industry Day career fair tonight.

From 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Northwestern students can meet representatives from 39 companies, including Microsoft, Ford, General Motors and Sears at the Omni Orrington Hotel.

Industry Day is NU’s largest student-run recruiting fair. Attendees can give out their resume, collect business cards and speak with recruiters. Though the goal is to connect students with full-time jobs, students can also find internships and learn more about career options.

McCormick students in the Walter P. Murphy Cooperative Engineering Education Program can find positions that allow them to attend classes while working.

Underclassmen can connect by serving as company hosts, which means they can be aides for recruiters to allow them to establish a rapport and get used to the job fair setting.

The event is open to all NU students, faculty and staff. A WildCARD must be presented for admission and business attire is required.

Ellen Worsdall, adviser of the Society of Women Engineers, said this year’s fair should be popular because of the state of the economy.

“For permanent placement the job market hasn’t been as great as it has been in the past,” said Worsdall, an assistant dean of McCormick student services. “I would expect that our turnout would be consistently strong. I think part of that is because the job market is tighter and students are being a lot more proactive and starting earlier in their job search.”

Though student interest may be increasing, the number of recruiting companies has decreased over the past few years, Worsdall said.

“I think in part it’s a condition of the economy and a lot of companies are pushing their online applications instead of coming to schools to meet students face to face,” she said.

Diane Esber, president of the Society of Women Engineers, said she also sees the day as beneficial because students can meet alumni and gain an edge in the application process.

“We have a lot of great companies … in today’s job market,” she said. “I hope it gives Northwestern McCormick students an edge.”