Jumping in water late slows club water polo early (Club Sports Roundup)

The Northwestern men’s club water polo team started practicing just over two weeks ago, a beginning that coincided with the first day of classes. That put them a month behind the majority of their opponents — not an insignificant disadvantage in a season that lasts only until mid-November.

“We get screwed by the quarter system,” said captain Thor Setten, a second-year graduate student. “Basically the other schools have been to four tournaments before we even get in the pool.”

Capitalizing on this disparity in game experience, opponents swept the Wildcats at the Norris Aquatics Center this past weekend. The Cats went 0-4 in the home tournament, but picked up valuable time in the pool that will aid them in the coming weeks. Competition will intensify as the Big Ten tournament approaches.

“It’s about chemistry,” said Setten. “This year we have three freshmen goalies to integrate.”

The complexity of the skills involved in water polo make practice time a necessity at all positions. While Seeten can recall only one player who ever joined the team without a background in high school swimming, roughly half of the team members have never played water polo before college.

“It’s hard to learn,” said Setten. “There’s also the minor threat of drowning.”

Accidents aside, the Cats prospects — as well as their fundamentals — stand to improve with each passing day in the water.

SETTING SAIL: For the first time in the last five years — or as far back as any current team member can recall — NU’s club sailing team has plans to send a squad to nationals. In about three weeks, the Cats will send their best to race against almost 30 other teams from around the country in what team Commodore (the sailing equivalent of a president) Marie Kyle called, “the peak.”

For a team that can only practice until November and then rest until late spring, climate plays a big role in inhibiting the team’s success. To remain competitive and leave the Chicago winter behind, the club takes one or two trips a year to Florida to compete in regattas.

“My favorite race that I sailed took place in Eckerd, Florida,” Kyle said. “We didn’t even come close to winning, but it was just nice to get away.”

KICKIN’ IT UP A NOTCH: Just three years ago, the Northwestern women’s club soccer team didn’t exactly have the brightest prospects. Mustering a full squad of 11 proved to be a difficult, sometimes impossible, task.

“We played one game with eight girls on the field, it was pretty pathetic,” recalled junior captain Hillary King.

The present edition of the team, however, bears little resemblance to the mess of years past. Coming off a 4-1 throttling of Ball State in their weekend opener, the Cats present a balanced scoring attack and, more importantly, a talented squad with depth.

“This year, most girls came to us over the summer looking to play,” said King.

In fact, so many talented hopefuls wanted to play that the team held formal tryouts, and eventually had the unenviable task of making cuts. Times have changed for the women’s soccer team, and they will be tested once again as they host DePaul this Sunday.