New Plex convenience store could save trips to town

Students living on South Campus no longer need to trek to Lisa’s Cafe or Norris University Center to buy a drink or bag of chips on campus.

Summer renovations to the Foster-Walker Complex spruced up both dining halls and added a convenience store at the entrance of the west cafeteria.

The renovated west side, which served international food last year, now offers made-to-order burritos, burgers, sandwiches and salads. The east hall, which was redecorated, still serves buffet-style fare.

In the convenience store, students can use cash, WildCARD points and Block plans C or D to buy snacks, beverages, toiletries — even frozen pizzas.

Barb Kempken, a chef at the Plex, said student response to both initiatives has been “very positive.”

“Business is increasing just about every day, ” she said. “We’ve already had comments about what (other items) people would like in the store.”

In response to student input, Kempken hopes to offer more vegetarian and organic goods in the store soon.

But, McCormick sophomore Chiew Yen Thai said, the store was “not very well equipped yet,” saying it should sell bread and more toiletries.

The prices of the items in the convenience store are “competitive with local eateries and stores,” said Dana Levit, assistant director for food services.

“If it’s cheaper than Osco, I’ll come,” said Katie Sander, a Weinberg freshman. “I’m a cheap person, so I’ll walk a mile to save a buck.”

But for some students, the store’s proximity provides an incentive to shop there, regardless of the prices.

“Sometimes you don’t want to eat a meal and maybe you don’t want to walk to Evanston to get food or a snack,” said Weinberg freshman Stephen Poon.

Paul Komelasky, director of food operations, said a similar convenience store will open in Norris by Winter Quarter. The store, which Komelasky said probably will be “more extensive” than the Plex’s store, will be added at the former dish-return center.

Just past the convenience store, students can dine on made-to-order entrees in the revamped dining room.

The west dining hall’s amenities include a burger bar and burrito bar. Students can choose their ingredients and a food services employee will prepare the entree.

Communication freshman Diksha Vij liked the layout of Plex’s dining area better than other dining halls.

“It’s very open and there aren’t too many tables so it doesn’t get too crowded,” she said. “It’s more spread out.”

In addition to a nice layout, the dining hall also promotes its healthy menu options to students. Levit said having others prepare their meal helps students maintain a well-balanced diet.

“You’re getting more appropriate portions,” she said. “(Students) maybe don’t mix up their plate with the right balance of nutritional items.”

Although Kempken said some students miss the international food that the Plex offered last year, many students are excited about this “new concept.”

“It seems more like a restaurant,” she said. “It doesn’t seem like something one would imagine as dorm eating.”