Voice, dance groups make debut for freshmen

Seven Northwestern performance troupes danced, sang and drummed a message Tuesday to freshmen and arts enthusiasts: We want you.

More than 300 students — mostly those new to NU — gathered at Cahn Auditorium for Kaleidoscope, which featured performances from: Graffiti Dancers; TONIK Tap; Boomshaka; and a capella groups Melodious Thunk, Significant Others, Purple Haze and Freshman Fifteen. With auditions rapidly approaching, performers relished the opportunity to share their talents and encouraged audience members to audition.

“This is great advertising for us,” said Leo Lamontagne, a Communication junior with TONIK Tap who also helped organize the event. “We want (students) to look and say, ‘That sounded great. I want to be a part of that.’ The wonder and awe is what makes people come out and audition.”

The show stirred some students’ interest in trying out for the groups. Monica Malanga, a Communication freshman, said she is excited about the chance to audition for the dance groups. “I’ve always wanted a performance group to be part of my college career,” she said.

Performers remained in the lobby after the show with sign-up sheets for those interested in auditioning. Information about auditions also is available in the filing cabinet near the main desk at Norris University Center.

Samir Mayekar of Boomshaka said performances are critical to attracting auditioners.

“The neat thing is, you don’t need to drill it into freshmen,” said Mayekar, a Weinberg sophomore. “We’d rather have them see us and have it spread by word of mouth.”

Karen Seifert, a Weinberg senior and member of Significant Others, said although simply telling students about performance opportunities is a good first step, the concert demonstrated what groups really do.

“You’re showing people what you can do — instead of just meeting them at activity fairs,” she said. “They get to see you out there doing your thing. It’s the best ad in the world.”