You booze, you lose: NU passes on ads for alcohol

Northwestern may have averted a controversy over alcohol that is raging at other schools.

Alcohol advertisements in San Diego State University’s athleticfacilities may bring funds to the university, but one local resident wishes the school would get rid of the signs.

Miller Brewing Company advertisements have adorned San Diego State’s>arena, stadium, theater and recreation center since 1998, boasting more than 20 advertisements in the facilities.

But Norman Mann, a retired orthodontist who has lived near the university for 50 years, has told various campus officials he thinks the advertisements will lead underage students to believe that the school endorses drinking alcohol.

“At (sporting) events, they have minors from junior high and high

school,” Mann said. “When they see those ads, those kids think it must be okay (to drink) if the school endorses it.”

However, advertising policies differ at NU. Mike Wolf, assistant athletic director for media services, said NU does not plan to advertise alcohol in its stadiums.

“In recent years, Northwestern has made a conscious decision to not incorporate alcohol advertising signage in any of its athletic facilities,” Wolf wrote in an e-mail.

Although the advertisements are visible to all students, San Diego State spokesman Jason Foster disagrees that the Miller signs send mixed messages about the university’s policy concerning alcohol.

“The university’s stance is loud and clear that we’re not anti-alcohol,” Foster said. “Our mission is that when people use alcohol, they use it legally and responsibly.”

Foster said San Diego State’s 14-year contract with the Miller Brewing Company makes up only a small part of the university’s total sponsorships.

“It’s a time of scarce dollars,” Foster said. “We were looking for supplemental income to ensure quality academic programs. We welcome additional funding.”

Despite Mann’s dissent, Foster said he has seen “hardly any difference” of opinion on the San Diego campus concerning Miller advertisements.

San Diego State’s decision not to take an anti-alcohol stance stems from the median age of the university’s students, Foster said. The university’s average student age is 25.

“A large part of our campus has the freedom to consume beer,” Foster said. “But we have a strong stance against alcohol abuse and underage drinking.”

Events such as NU’s Associated Student Government sponsored tailgates before football games advertise free beer on posters. Although previous in previous years publicity only advertised the alcohol sponsors, since only students who were older than 21 could attend the tailgates, members of ASG made sure this year that free food and concerts were displayed as large as the alcohol featured on posters.

“We wanted to change the focus from last year,” said Joel Richlin, ASG’s former campus public relations chairman. “Last year, the whole poster said free beer. This time, all people can come to eat, drink alcohol, listen to free music or drink soda.”

Although San Diego State advocates responsible alcohol use, Foster pointed out that the school’s advertising may not work at every school.

“We’re a large state university,” Foster said. “A small, private liberal arts college might think of doing something else in terms of their own ethical and moral codes.”