Battle sets line-up of Dillo Day performers

Twelve bands — ranging from southern-folk country to hard rock to alternative — had the same goal Wednesday night: to be crowned champion of Mayfest’s Battle of the Bands and receive a prime spot as Dillo Day’s opening act.

But after 10 hours of resonating rhythms over the course of two nights at Nevin’s Live — round one was last Wednesday — only one group was left standing. The vocally driven, soft-alternative group The Capability, composed of five members including two Northwestern students, was announced as the winner at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday morning.

The Capability will join a diverse list of six other bands Mayfest organizers announced will play Dillo Day on May 24. The main acts will be headliner The Crystal Method, which plays techno- and bass-fortified sounds, and Blackalicious, a two-man hip hop group from California that has existed for about 15 years and promotes morally driven music.

The other bands are Steel Train, a rock band that performed on the Vans Warped Tour last summer; Idlewild, a British punk-rock group modeled after Nirvana and opening for Pearl Jam this summer; Robert Randolph and the Family Band, a blues-and-gospel combination; and Troubled Hubble, a Chicago band with an indie-rock flavor.

“We’re so excited about the line-up,” said Mayfest co-Chairwoman Stephanie Rich, a Medill sophomore. “We really tried to get bands that are amazing live and really appeal to diverse music tastes.”

The Capability performed during round one of the Battle of the Bands — meaning many of Wednesday night’s audience members didn’t get a chance to see them rock out. But Mayfest organizers gave the group nothing but positive remarks.

“I was extremely impressed by (The Capability),” said Lauren Wright, a Mayfest committee member who coordinated Battle of the Bands. “The voice of the lead singer was probably the most captivating thing I’ve ever heard.”

Wright said she’s confident The Capability will be able to replicate its performance on the Dillo Day stage.

“I have a feeling (the Dillo Day) audience will have a similar reaction (to hearing the band),” said Wright, a Weinberg sophomore.

Performing at the competition’s first round also meant no member of the band was present for the announcement. Many audience members who cheered for the bands that performed during round two said they didn’t know enough about The Capability to comment on the selection.

One audience member, Weinberg sophomore Lawrence Coley, said he supported The Georges, an alternative band that garnered the honorable mention award.

“The Georges have such a great sound,” said Coley, who likened them to The Vines. “They are one of the most put-together bands here.”

But Coley cheered the selection of The Crystal Method and Blackalicious as Dillo Day performers, jumping up and down when they were announced.

Dillo Day represents the climax of the monthlong springtime celebration of Mayfest. In the weeks leading up to the daylong concert, Mayfest organizers have attempted to bring attention to issues affecting the Native-American community through outreach, speakers and events.

In another Mayfest-sponsored event, scheduled for 11:30 a.m. today on the east lawn of Norris University Center, drummer and teacher R.J. Smith will discuss the importance of music to the Native-American community.