Phifer relives successes using “ghetto ingenuity”

Actor Mekhi Phifer told audience members Friday that his “ghetto ingenuity” helped him begin his career fresh from Harlem with $25 in his pocket and a $30 million film riding on his shoulders.

Phifer, who most recently starred in “8 Mile,” shared the story of his hard-knock life and the secrets of his success with a crowd of about 180 people in Coon Forum. His speech, part of the first annual Cultural Arts Festival, was co-sponsored by A&O Productions and For Members Only.

Phifer said he grew up dabbling in hip-hop and selling crack cocaine in the projects of Harlem. Using “ghetto ingenuity” — rehearsing lines with his cousins in Central Park — he landed his breakout role in Spike Lee’s “Clockers” without any acting experience.

“When I walked on that movie set … I found a passion,” he said. “You have all these people working toward one thing, working towards one goal — greatness.”

Phifer, 29, now plays the cocky Dr. Gregory Pratt on the TV show “ER” and also has starred in several movies, including 2001’s “O.”

Phifer told aspiring actors, especially blacks, that they must be committed and focused to survive in show business.

“People can complain all they want that there’s a lack of work and ‘positive’ roles for African Americans,” he said. “What you have to do is make a choice: Am I gonna endure all this pain and become passionate about it? Or do I say fuck it, I’m becoming an accountant?”

The actor kept the crowd laughing. He joked about wearing an “ugly-ass” wig for “8 Mile,” impersonated Spike Lee and invited one fan to help re-enact a racy scene from the film “Soul Food.”

Phifer credited part of his success to selecting projects carefully and said he has turned down “a lot of roles for a lot of money” because they didn’t mesh with his individual artistic vision.

“I’ve done over 20 films and I’ve never degraded myself or compromised who I am to be in a movie or on TV,” he said.

Though Phifer said he is “not one to run around with my shirt open,” many NU women called him a heartthrob and cheered when he took off his leather jacket, a snug shirt underneath. One student asked if Phifer had “a thing” for Asian women, like his character on “ER.”

“I’m a United Colors of Benetton kind of man myself,” Phifer said, referring to the clothing company’s use of racially diverse models. “Skin color is somebody else’s problem.”

Bukola Ekundayo said she came to see Phifer because “he’s hot,” but was pleasantly surprised to learn he was more than eye candy.

“I didn’t think he’d be able to say anything in depth,” said Ekundayo, a Weinberg sophomore. “But he was inspiring and what he said applied to not just actors, but to doctors and lawyers.”

Phifer’s speech capped FMO’s Cultural Arts Festival. Event organizer and FMO Coordinator Tracy Carson said the group chose Phifer because of his diverse background.

Earlier in the day, campus multicultural groups such as CaribNation and Deeva Dance Troupe performed at Norris University Center for the three-hour festival. While music and the smell of incense wafted through the Louis Room, students sang, danced and read poetry on stage. Vendors from the Evanston area sold crafts, jewelry, soap and artwork to almost 100 attendees.