Traveling children’s play earns seal of approval

Thirteen-year-old Ellen Jean is “not like the others.” She is half-seal.

But despite her mythical identification, her story of adolescent alienation and doubt is common. Ellen Jean is the half-human, half-seal protagonist in the play “Selkie,” which comes to Northwestern’s campus with an innovative twist: It is geared toward children.

“There is an opportunity to see this on a lot of levels,” said director Lynn Kelso.

According to Kelso both children and adults will understand the play’s theme: everyone has somewhere to belong.

Written by Laurie Brooks Gollobin, “Selkie” (the Gaelic word for “seal”) is the story of a family who learns the repercussions of a father’s sin. As a young man, he stole a selkie girl’s pelt, thus confining her to a life on land. After becoming his wife, she bears a child half-human and half-selkie.

Wrestling with her identity (and her webbed hands), the daughter must choose between living in the sea or living on land.

Set in the Orkney Islands off the coast of Scotland, the story takes on an aura of enchantment. The stage is set as a blue-green sea spotted with rocks, and the family’s home sits near the shore. Audience members must use their imaginations to envision actors and actresses playing non-human characters.

The cast comprises seven undergraduate and graduate theater students who will perform “Selkie” at schools in Evanston, Chicago and Niles every Wednesday and Friday for two months after their NU performances. The actors will earn one theater credit.

Kelso said she is excited to present this play to children because today’s society is often bent on harsh realities.

“Our culture is so seeped in reality,” she said. “This is a legend.”

Ryan Glass, who plays Ellen Jean’s father said although the viewer needs to use his or her imagination, the theme is extremely poignant.

“Their imaginations will be challenged, but the message is so strong,” said Glass, a Communication sophomore.

Yet Kelso said while this magical tale will appeal to a younger crowd, its message is realistic.

“I hope they will see that their feelings of alienation are universal,” she said. “What is a ‘pelt’ for identity? Theater acts as a mirror for who we are.”

Imagination is the key as actresses play seals and the setting is distant and mystical.

“It’s something that a lot of people don’t get to do, something so kind and caring,” said Amanda Doyle, a Communication senior who played the red-haired selkie. “Audiences (at NU) will enjoy it, but we’ll really get to the meat of it when we play to our target audience.”

Fellow cast member Michael Rosenblum added that audiences will be treated to something they don’t often experience.

“You don’t get to see things so magical and pure,” said Rosenblum, a Communication freshman. “Everybody can find things they can relate to, especially when it comes to the kids. They will know there is somewhere out there where they can belong.”