Court TV anchor says to take risks, appreciate life

Court TV anchor Rikki Klieman doesn’t always agree with one of Northwestern University Alumni Association’s Council of 100’s mantra: “You can have it all, but not at the same time.”

Council member Rikki Klieman, who has worked for Court TV since 1994, broke free of the rule in her keynote address Wednesday.

“Today, April 9, is one day I get it all at the same time,” Klieman told a crowd of more than 100 female students and NU alumni in Norris University Center.

Klieman recently received an offer as an anchor at Court TV’s Los Angeles bureau, a move that would allow her to live in the same city as her husband, Los Angeles Chief of Police William Bratton, and gives her fulfillment in both her professional and personal lives, she said.

Her autobiography, “Fairy Tales Can Come True: How a Driven Woman Changed her Destiny,” will hit stores May 6.

A self-described “driven woman,” Klieman is a partner with the Boston law firm Klieman, Lyons, Schindler and Gross and teaches trial strategies at Columbia University.

Klieman first gained nationwide attention when Time magazine named her one of the top five women lawyers in 1983. She also gained fame for covering the O.J. Simpson trial for Court TV in 1995.

Klieman mentioned humorous moments when people ask for her autograph in stores, hotels and even Disneyland.

“The whole world thought I was perfect,” Klieman said.

However, Klieman admits the glamour had a negative side, especially when working from 5a.m. to 11p.m. took its toll.

“I was exhausted,” Klieman said. “I had no children, two failed marriages, many failed relationships and I went from emergency room to emergency room because of panic attacks.”

She cautioned the crowd against putting too much emphasis on work and in the process, neglecting to appreciate life’s wonders.

“Even though she showed you how to be aggressive, ambitious and to seize everything, at the same time,” said Weinberg freshman Jennifer Wasson. “She makes the point to stop and appreciate what you have right now.”

Klieman also encouraged the students to take risks in everything, from getting haircuts to changing majors.

“If you get that job and hate it, find another job,” said Klieman, who switched from professional acting to law after an NU professor’s suggestion.

Weinberg sophomore Dre Fennewald, who dropped out of the pre-medicine track before transferring to NU this year, said she appreciated Klieman’s bold advice.

“She helped me realize that being undecided is OK,” said Fennewald.

Klieman also gave pointers about the professional world, advising the crowd on the “three M’s: modeling, mentoring, monitoring.” She encouraged everyone to find role models and mentors as well as keep a keen monitor on “what’s going on” at a given event.

Klieman’s best friend Karen Page, Weinberg ’83, said Klieman’s knowledge and resourcefulness extends past her career.

“She has a great a heart as intellect, and she’s generous with time, advice and friendship,” said Page, a founding member of Council of 100.