Jumping right in

Evanston’s newest alderman has volunteered in the community for more than 25 years, served on the school board for 12 and is the co-chairwoman of a presidential candidate’s exploratory committee.

But when a resident called Elizabeth Tisdahl to get a pothole filled, she failed in her first task as an alderman.

“I was so proud of myself,” she said, laughing. “Until the same man called me 10 days later with the same request and I realized I had the wrong pothole filled.”

Tisdahl, who replaced Stephen Engelman as 7th Ward alderman in March, said she is not sure if she is enjoying her new job.

“I just hope I do well with this,” she said. “If I feel like I’m helping the people of Evanston — I should end up enjoying it.”

When Mayor Lorraine H. Morton offered Tisdahl the 7th Ward position, it was “definitely a shock,” she said. Despite the surprise, Tisdahl accepted Morton’s offer within 24 hours.

“At the time, it seemed like an easy decision,” she said. “I was naive.”

For Tisdahl, being an alderman is a 40-hour-a-week job. She continues to volunteer, work part time at an investment firm in Chicago, co-chairwoman Carol Mosely-Braun’s exploratory committee and help take care of her granddaughter.

Morton said she chose Tisdahl because she has always been involved in the Evanston community.

“She has given so much of herself to so many organizations,” Morton said. “She was an easy pick because I felt confident the community would be very happy to have her.”

While serving as a member and president of the District 202 school board, Tisdahl realized that being in public office entailed more than just advocating her own positions.

“When I joined the school board I thought the most important thing was explaining my views,” she said. “I quickly learned the importance of listening.”

Tisdahl grew up in Lake Forest, Ill., and went to a prep school in Virginia. She studied political science and played tennis at Bryn Mawr College in Bryn Mawr, Pa., but didn’t graduate because she became seriously ill.

She has four children and one grandchild. Her husband, Alfred Tisdahl, died.

Elizabeth Tisdahl said the most important issues for the 7th Ward include replacing the sewers, improving Central Street parking, renovating the Civic Center and restoring the Evanston Lighthouse.

“And of course, whatever other concerns the people of the 7th Ward tell me about,” she said. Tisdahl said she gets about five calls per day from concerned residents.

She said her first success as an alderman came when David Ellis, a concerned firefighter, called to tell her that because of renovations to Fire Station No. 3, 1105 Central St., the average response time to calls from the 7th Ward was six minutes, when it should have been under three.

Tisdahl successfully negotiated with Northwestern to move a fire engine to Ryan Field.

“It felt so great to see (Evanston) City Council unanimously vote to bring fire service back to the 7th Ward,” she said. “It was my first victory.”

A significant portion of NU is in the 7th Ward. As for her student constituents, she advised “don’t have any fires until we get this truck moved.”

“And if they see a pothole that needs filling,” she added, “don’t call me.”