Ex-Real Worlder tackles ongoing racial questions

Real-world problems, such as ignorance and racism, still exist in the United States — problems that date back to long before the MTV era, a cast member from the first “Real World” season told a crowd of about 100 students Wednesday.

Kevin Powell, the former senior editor of Vibe and a contributor to The New York Times, Rolling Stone and Essence, said in a speech at Coon Forum that Americans should emphasize an understanding of their history to promote cooperation in a multicultural world. Powell gave the talk — his last of nearly 40 Black History Month speeches — for NU Perspectives, a quarterly lecture series sponsored by Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council and National Pan-Hellenic Council.

“An education often in this country is confused with memorization. An education in my opinion means learning how to be a critical thinker,” said Powell, a poet, journalist and essayist. “The kind of dialogue I want to have is going to be very honest and open.”

Powell said the recent vandalism in NU residence halls, including several swastikas and what he called the “n-word,” demonstrates that a hefty amount of ignorance persists.

“These college campuses, including Northwestern University, are just a microcosm of America,” Powell said. “If you’re not speaking out against it, you become just as guilty as far as I’m concerned.”

Powell attributed much of the problem to students’ socialization as children and urged students to take on leadership roles in combating racism, sexism, homophobia and other social issues affecting the nation.

“You can’t be opposed to oppression when it’s convenient to you,” he said.

Powell admitted he went through a period when he despised all white people but said he had been “miseducated” for the first 18 years of his life. He said his education about black heritage had been limited to prominent figures such as Rosa Parks, Harriet Tubman and Martin Luther King, Jr.

“The first 18 years of my life, I hated myself as a black person,” Powell said. “I walked into that (Rutgers) college campus with a deep inferiority complex.”

The first member of his family to go to college, Powell said programs like affirmative action give black and Latino students opportunities they have been denied in the past.

“Power means, at some point, if you’re really serious about freedom and democracy, you’ve got to give something up,” he said.

The lines distinguishing between racial and ethnic groups are often oversimplified, Powell said. There was a time in America when Irish people were treated like animals, as shown in Martin Scorsese’s movie “Gangs of New York,” he said.

“I always say to my white brothers and sisters, ‘What were you before you became white?'” Powell said.

Desiree Evans nodded in agreement throughout Powell’s speech.

“I just felt it was good to see someone getting to the heart of all these issues,” said Evans, said.

Becky Unterman, outgoing Panhel vice president of education, said the goal of the speech was to provide the campus with an educational program.

“In light of current events on campus, anything involving race relations and diversity is important,” said Unterman, a Weinberg senior.