Face the Nation’ host talks up new memoir, criticizes politics

Combining personal stories and political commentary, Bob Schieffer, host of the CBS talk show “Face the Nation,” told an audience of 110 Thursday about getting back to his journalistic roots while writing his memoir.

Schieffer, who spoke at the McCormick Tribune Center Forum as part of the Medill School of Journalism’s Crain lecture series, said reporting and interviewing were the most enjoyable parts of writing “This Just In: What I Couldn’t Tell You on TV.”

“When I started writing this book, I did not intend to do any reporting,” Schieffer said. “But as I got into it, I realized I had to dust my memory.”

Schieffer said his interest in journalism came from a natural desire to learn about the lives of others.

“I was always curious about things and always enjoyed talking to people who made the news,” said Schieffer, who said Congress was his favorite beat while working as a reporter covering Washington politics.

“Covering Congress is the most fun when you’re up in Capitol Hill. (A reporter) has daily face-to-face contact (with government representatives).”

But Schieffer said his experience as a political reporter has left him critical of the current political climate in Washington.

“Politics nowadays is much messier and more partisan,” he said. “Campaigns are so dirty, and people come to Congress and use the same techniques. This slops over to the partisan divide.”

Schieffer said political talk shows like his should be a place where people debate political opinions.

“We hope that these programs are places where people lay out their views and discuss them,” Schieffer said. “I’m not trying to trip them up and see what they say.”

Jill Mullen said Schieffer inspires her to pursue journalism.

“He is living proof that journalism is an interesting career,” said Mullen, Medill junior.

One Evanston resident said she was impressed by Schieffer’s anecdotes and personality.

“I think he has balanced the reporter and anchor role for the show well,” said Janet Otwell, Medill ’50. “He really had a treasure trove of stories.”