Singers/songwriters of the world unite

Neil Finn’s touring presence in the United States is practically nonexistent. So the New Zealand songwriter’s fans, a devoted group, naturally relished the headlining show at the intimate Vic Theatre on Feb. 5. Renowned for his groups Split Enz and, more famously, Crowded House, Finn is now engaged in a critically lauded solo career after his last group dissolved in 1996.

Concert-goers were treated to a rich double-billing as Finn enlisted Rhett Miller — better known as the frontman for alt-country rockers the Old 97’s — to open the shows on this tour.

Miller, somewhat of a Chicago denizen — he considers the town his second home — tore through a muscular 45-minute set that included selected Old 97’s cuts, as well as songs from his own solo album, The Instigator, released last fall.

Emerging onstage in a red button-down shirt and jeans, the unpretentious Miller, long and lanky, said, “I’ll just get right to the rock,” launching into “Our Love,” the opening track from his solo album. Frenetic and informed by a wide-eyed optimism, the song details a love affair gone right. During the song’s rollicking chorus, Miller, manning an acoustic guitar, tossed his wispy hair with impassioned rock ‘n’ roll fervor.

On other songs from his solo album — including the moody “Terrible Vision”– Miller was forced to strip the songs of the sometimes-too-saccharine poppy orchestrations captured on The Instigator. But live, the album’s darker themes became more apparent. In “Terrible Vision,” Miller writhed the line “it hurts so bad,” with a vocal force that bordered on emotional bloodletting.

A vocal crowd responded to Miller as he continued to play songs from his solo album. But when he pulled out “Rollerskate Skinny,” and “Murder (Or a Heart Attack),” two tunes by the Old 97’s, the crowd seemed appeased. His new “Four-Eyed Girl,” inspired guffaws as Miller professed his love for a bookish woman, as did “The El,” an electro-honky tonk number that felt entirely appropriate during quiet moments, when trains rushed by outside the Vic. Miller will return to Chicago on March 4 to headline a show at the Abbey Pub.

After a brief intermission, Finn and his three-piece band impressed with a two-hour show boasting a tremendous gift for melody and political consciousness. Through the evening, the witty Finn — who should consider a second career in stand-up comedy — showed off his stage presence to the crowd’s delight.

Set-opener “Now We’re Getting Somewhere” featured soaring three-part harmonies and simmering upright bass, while “Wherever You Are” offered a sanguine message that colored the evening. Throughout the show, Finn invoked peace, inviting fans to pass along inspirational messages or jokes to provide moments of levity in light of world affairs.

Miller was again called to the stage to join in on “Anytime,” a highlight from Finn’s recent solo album One All. With menacing guitar riffs and textured backing, Miller provided a hypnotic vocal that wrapped around Finn’s signature alto.

From his vast oeuvre, Finn pulled out a moralistic, searing version of “History Never Repeats,” a Split Enz classic, and invited an enthusiastic fan to sing to the chorus of Crowded House’s “Weather With You.” Finn ended his riveting set with a subdued, plaintive version of the Crowded House hit “Don’t Dream It’s Over.” nyou