Women’s tennis to take on the best in the nation in Wisconsin

The Northwestern women’s tennis team will make its fifth appearance today in the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championships, held in Madison, Wis.

Last year the Wildcats (4-3) went 2-1 at the event, losing to then-No. 4 Vanderbilt in the main draw before beating then-No. 7 Southern California and then-No. 9 Fresno State in the consolation rounds.

The Trojans, again ranked No. 7, will have an opportunity to avenge last year’s 4-3 loss against the Cats as they face No. 14 NU in the opening round this year.

The nation’s premier indoor tournament has been held annually for the past 16 years at the University of Wisconsin’s A.C. Nielsen Tennis Center.

The tournament takes place today through Sunday and attracts some of the top women’s tennis programs in the nation. This year 13 of the top 16 teams in the country will compete in what is considered a preview to the NCAA Championship tournament held in May. In the history of the tournament, nine of the finalists have eventually gone on to win the national championship.

NU coach Claire Pollard said she was pleased with the way her team played this past week. The team went 2-1, with dominating victories over No. 21 Notre Dame and Furman before losing a close match to No. 5 North Carolina. Pollard said she considered the week a successful one, and that the loss to North Carolina would only add incentive for her team to perform well at the Indoor Championships.

“I think we have a better taste in our mouths,” Pollard said on Sunday. “We’ve had a lot of success at the Indoors and we want to keep that rolling.”

NU at National Indoor Chamionships

Today through Sunday

A.C. Nielsen Tennis Center, Madison, Wis.