Cats fight Irish to kick off grueling home-court stand (Women’s Tennis)

After slipping in the most recent rankings from No. 12 to No. 16 in the nation, one might think the Northwestern women’s tennis team is losing confidence. But tell that to NU coach Claire Pollard, and she has a very different story.

“I don’t think we are any different than a week ago,” Pollard said. “I don’t think you can tie your confidence up to winning and losing. You leave yourself very vulnerable that way.”

The Wildcats (2-2) have a tough schedule before them, with matches against No. 21 Notre Dame on Thursday and against Furman and No. 5 North Carolina this weekend. Adding to the challenge will be the absence of senior Marine Piriou, last year’s No. 1 singles player. According to Pollard, Piriou is sitting out because of a personal issue.

Pollard said Piriou’s absence puts extra pressure on the other players by forcing them to play at a higher position than usual.

“I think the major difference with and without her is that there is a little less security,” Pollard said. “Before, we could afford a bad day and we were still a top-10 team. Now we have to have a great day to be a top-10 team.”

The match against Notre Dame (2-0) at the Combe Tennis Center will be the next chapter in the rivalry between two of the Midwest’s top teams. Last year, the Cats eked out a 4-3 victory over the Irish in South Bend, Ind.

Junior Jessica Rush said she and the team would be ready to take on the Irish and were not daunted by the tough opponents coming to Evanston this weekend.

“We have a really good rivalry with Notre Dame,” Rush said. “And we will definitely be pumped up for the weekend.”