NUIT to debut improved computer tracking system

Northwestern University Information Technology will begin implementing a new computer tracking system Tuesday that will enable NUIT to more easily track file-sharing material or viruses in all residential halls and Greek houses.

Network Registration, or NetReg, replaces an old system that required NUIT engineers to shut down an individual’s computer port, taking away a student’s Internet and e-mail privileges. Tom Board, director of technology support services, said this process was often lengthy, leaving the student confused as to why his or her privileges were blocked.

By connecting a student’s NetID to his or her ethernet card, NetReg allows NUIT engineers to track registered computers with viruses that may affect the university system without having to turn off a computer’s Internet port.

The system also more quickly tracks material in violation of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), which prohibits the trade of software or pirated computer files.

However, Board and senior residential networking consultants stress that NetReg, which parallels systems at other major universities, will not increase “crack downs” on illegally downloaded material such as MP3 files.

As in the past, NUIT officials will simply address virus problems or complaints filed under the DMCA, which forces them to respond within 24 hours.

“There’s nothing about this system that’s going to have to do monitoring or tracing more than what we do right now,” Board said.

NetReg will begin its rollout phase at North Mid-Quads Hall and South Mid-Quads Hall. NetReg is scheduled to be in all campus residential halls and Greek houses by the end of the January.

According to Board, other administrative areas eventually may be connected to the system, though no immediate plans have been announced.

NUIT shut off approximately 90 ports at one time during Fall Quarter because of various problems, Board said. Students will now be contacted via e-mail or telephone if a problem with their computer arises.

“This program saves time for us and keeps students informed,” Board said. “The whole purpose is to improve service to students by rapidly contacting those people to resolve problems.”

Res cons, who are trained in the system to help students with any problems, said NetReg will benefit both NUIT and the student body.

“It’s a service to students,” said Aaron Johnson, a senior res con and McCormick junior. “All (NetReg) does is help students get back on (the Internet) in a safe way.”

Students will be notified via flyers and e-mails about connecting to NetReg.

A student who wants to use the Internet and other computer features must register at a designated Web page, which will show up when the browser is enabled using a NetID and password.

NUIT tested the NetReg system at 1835 Hinman and Jones Residential College last April, but technical problems forced NUIT to back out of the pilot test and re-engineer the program, Board said.

To ensure a smooth debut, engineers have been testing NetReg on networks within their own systems since June to fix any remaining glitches.

“We feel confident there aren’t going to be problems,” Board said.