Career Week expos, fairs brighten seniors in dark economy

Northwestern’s Career Week, sponsored by University Career Services, will feature representatives from more than 50 organizations at Norris University Center to give students an outlook on jobs and internships amid a struggling economy.

Career Week begins today with a general workshop on how to prepare for job and internship interviews.

Thy Nguyen, UCS assistant director, encourages students to attend multiple presentations, open to NU undergraduates, graduate students and alumni.

“(Career Week) is a good opportunity to explore jobs, internships and network with employee representatives,” Nguyen said.

Main features of Career Week include the the Martin Luther King, Jr. Public Interest Job and Internship Fair from noon to 4 p.m. Tuesday, devoted to more than 50 diverse nonprofit, governmental and educational organizations. A Career Expo from noon to 4 p.m. Thursday will feature larger organizations such as State Farm Insurance and Peace Corps. Both events will be held in the Louis Room.

The companies are looking look for both full-time employees and interns.

Nguyen said NU received a “very good response” from companies willing to showcase at both fairs. “It’s getting quite large,” he said.

For Josh Mehling, a McCormick senior, the Career Expo offers an opportunity to look for engineering-related jobs.

“I’ve looked at the (UCS) Web site and saw aerospace companies and other engineer-related companies listed,” he said. “I’m simply going to go there and look around.”

Mark Roush, a Weinberg senior and defensive back for NU’s football team, said the job fair might help him find a job near Atlanta.

“(The expo) sounds like a good idea,” Roush said. “Hopefully it will let us explore what’s available in the job market.”

Many seniors and graduate students said the career fairs present an opportunity to look for jobs at a time when the job market and the economy are near their worst.

“It’s nice to know that there’s someone out there looking for people to hire,” Mehling said.

Today’s event, “Developing Your Approach to a Career Fair Workshop,” features Allstate consultant Michael Teta and FBI agent Zina Bryant from 4 p.m. to 5 p.m in Norris’ Michigan Room.

“It’s a way to help students navigate around a job fair by giving preparation (tips for) dress, resumes and questions (to ask),” Nguyen said.

To help students indecisive about careers and internships, Career Week also includes an “Exploring Careers Workshop” from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in Norris’ Northwestern B Room to discuss career decision making.

Students interested in viewing the companies at the Career Expo and public interest job fair should visit UCS Web site at www.northwestern.edu/careers.