Designer of largest plane keeps head in clouds

Northwestern took a virtual flight of gargantuan size Tuesday night. But when the Airbus A380 and its advanced technology take flight for real in 2006, it will bring new meaning to the term “jumbo jet.”

The world’s largest plane and its technology were the focus of a presentation by Airbus Industries’ large aircraft division structural engineering director Jens Hinrichsen at the Allen Center.

The presentation, attended by about 40 professionals, discussed several of the plane’s features, including its 555 passenger seats in a double-deck, four-aisle frame — which make it the largest freight and passenger plane in the world.

In addition to transporting larger numbers of passengers, Hinrichsen said the plane also will have other expanded amenities.

“There will be more facilities (like) washrooms, showers, restrooms and sleeping cabins,” said Hinrichsen, who has worked with Airbus for 10 years.

He mentioned one more feature sure to entice travelers onto the Airbus A380.

“The cost (of airfare) will go down, because the economies of a big plane are better,” he said.

The inspiration for such a big plane came from the increase in airport congestion, which can be alleviated by larger planes holding more passengers, Hinrichsen said.

He was moved to design the plane because he was fascinated with the technology.

Hinrichsen’s presentation also focused on the technology that will be used in the plane’s construction.

Among other things, he said the plane will feature new composite materials in its frame and coating, as well as titanium in its landing gears. The technology allows the plane to be quieter and reduce pollution emissions.

Don Tigunelis, who attended the lecture, said Hinrichsen’s focus on technology will help allay people’s fears about investing in the new plane.

“The presentation was very detailed and very

technically oriented, showing the extent of the risks,” said Tigunelis, 67. “But I think (discussing technology) is attempting to mitigate the big gamble of the plane they’re designing.”

Hinrichsen’s discussion of the A380’s technology also inspired Tim Tibbals, 37, to consider investigating how technology can help his work in finances.

“The overall discussion was applicable to the complexities and values in bringing new technologies into projects,” said the Wadsworth, Ill., resident. “I watched how he managed that, since I want to apply that (use of technology) in the financial situation.”

While most of the plane’s publicity has come from Europe and the United States, Hinrichsen said the plane also

has attracted attention from other nations, such as Japan. Commercial airliners like United Airlines and Singapore Airlines, and freight companies such as FedEx Corp. are interested in the plane.

The plane most likely would appear at major airports in the United States, Hinrichsen said.