NU musicians explore untapped Asian sound

The phrase “rock music” brings to mind American and British icons such as Elvis Presley, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix.

But the Hong Kong Student Association and the Thai Club showed how rock expands beyond American and British cultures Monday night at the first annual “Asian Rock Night” in Norris University Center’s McCormick Auditorium.

The event, which also was co-sponsored by Associated Student Government, featured two rock bands from each student group performing a mix of rock, rap and pop music. The music found its roots in Japan, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.

HKSA President Stephen Hui said the mix of genres the two groups played represent the difficulty in classifying Asian rock.

“The style is difficult to define — rock isn’t the perfect definition,” said Hui, a Communication senior and drummer for the HKSA band. “We’re playing pop, one rap song and a few rock songs.”

He said the inspiration to put on the event came from the band’s desire to perform live.

“We are musicians, and we want to play music,” Hui said. “We like to perform and play.”

The event also allowed people to hear Asian rock, which Thai Club President Nirand Pisutha-Arnond said is mellower than either British or American rock.

“I think that Asian rock is a lot softer than other kinds of rock music,” said Pisutha-Arnond, a McCormick sophomore and pianist for the Thai Quad Boys.

He said Asian rock music developed after its American and European counterparts. Hui said music from places in the Far East such as Hong Kong is not that different than American music.

“Whatever genre you can find in America, you can find in Hong Kong as well,” he said.

The two bands had difficulty putting on the show because they could not find a place to practice, Hui said.

“I wish there was a facility that the music school would just rent out,” he said.

Despite problems of finding practice space, the two groups managed to play 12 songs from various genres, including punk rock tunes, pop ballads and a rap song. The HKSA also covered one song in English, Avril Lavigne’s “Complicated.”

About 50 students were in attendance, and they responded enthusiastically to the two groups and the music they played.

“I thought it was great,” said Julianne Kuck, a Weinberg junior. “It was something I’ve never experienced, but it was fun.”

With the positive reaction, Pisutha-Arnond said the two groups might invite other Asian clubs to play with HKSA and the Thai club in future concerts.

“We might invite more clubs to play with us and have each country have its own band to play music.” he said.