Bill seeks to equip Blomquist with towel service, free weights

With the exception of one new bill, Associated Student Government will turn its focus to internal issues at tonight’s Senate meeting — the last of Fall Quarter.

The lone bill calls for renovations to Blomquist Recreation Center, in hopes of creating a better exercise facility for students who live on South Campus.

“(Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center) is too far, especially when it’s cold and dark,” said Kim Mosser, the bill’s author and a Medill junior. “We’re looking for improvements to Blomquist to make it comparable to the exercise places up north.”

Mosser said the purpose of the bill is to show student support for the improvements and get the proposal on the Undergraduate Budget Priority Committee’s agenda before the end of Winter Quarter, when the committee makes its recommendations to the administration.

The legislation’s goal is to equip Blomquist with a towel service and a set of free weights.

Senators also will hear proposals for two constitutional amendments that would bring internal changes to ASG.

One of the amendments, written by College Democrats President Tina Valkanoff, proposes to strike a provision in the organization’s bylaws that prohibits the Rules Committee chairman from appointing senators after the third week of a quarter. As the bylaw stands now, if a senator resigns or is dismissed by the Rules Committee after the third week in a quarter, that senator’s spot remains vacant until the start of the next quarter, said Jason Warren, ASG’s rules chairman.

The other amendment would shorten the mandated period between campuswide referendums from four to two years.

Also at tonight’s meeting, senators will debate a bill introduced last week that would bring duck feeders to the Lakefill.