Students have until sundown to express meal plan concerns

Students frustrated by meal plans have until 5 p.m. today to register complaints and suggestions about university dining services.

Associated Student Government set up a link Friday on HereandNow, giving students an online suggestion box to voice opinions about current dining options, said Mike Fong, ASG’s student services vice president.

Fong said ASG set up the Web site as a supplement to paper questionnaires the group passed out in dining facilities around campus. The forms included questions about student satisfaction regarding specific aspects of the meal plan.

Fong, the chairman of the Dining Services Committee, will present results to the committee.

Earlier this year students were on the verge of protesting the new plan’s elimination of meal equivalence at a la carte dining locations such as Sbarro and Willie’s Food Court. The university later reinstated meal equivalence for students who were on the Block Plan.

“Wherever there is a strong feeling for something we will lobby for it and hopefully bring it into action,” said Fong, a Weinberg junior.

ASG initiated an identical online format to gain student feedback about the expansion of Norris University Center.

With numerous letters from student group leaders and ASG’s executive board in hand, ASG President Rachel Lopez said she would like to add the voice of the average student to a package she is putting together to send to donors.

“We collected all of these letters from student leaders, but we wanted to hear from less involved students as well,” said Lopez, a Weinberg senior. “We’re letting them say whatever they want.”

The survey will be up on ASG’s Web site through the end of the week when Lopez has to turn in a finalized report to University President Henry Bienen.

“I just want to encourage students to take ownership of this project,” Lopez said. “Unless students do that, we may ever see this project to completion.”