Budget committee asks for feedback from students

If you’ve ever complained about how your tuition money is spent, now is your chance to be heard.

After encouraging the administration to fund such initiatives as dorm cable and increased lighting last year, the Undergraduate Budget Priorities Committee began its information-gathering period this weekend by distributing fliers to all on-campus student mailboxes.

“We’re just trying to make (the committee) more accessible to students this year and make the committee more of a liaison than a committee that initiates a new agenda,” said Tamara Kagel, a committee member and Associated Student Government academic vice president.

The committee is supposed to solicit student input and make recommendations to the administration based on the feedback it receives, said Jay Goyal, the committee’s chairman. Committee members just began gathering information and will not make final recommendations to the administration until the end of Winter Quarter.

“The generation of ideas along with public relations is what we’re doing right now,” said Rachel Lopez, a committee member and ASG president.

Women’s Coalition was one of the groups that had an impact on the committee’s initiatives last year by pushing for increased lighting on campus, said Nell Haynes, the group’s president. Women’s Co will recommend that the committee continue to promote increased safety, but the specifics of the group’s initiatives still are in progress.

Lopez, a Weinberg senior, said the few concrete ideas the committee has received include renovations of Blomquist Recreation Center,improvement of dorm kitchenettes, and expansion of resources for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.

The committee is set to meet with administrators Tuesday to brainstorm ideas and find out what projects university officials want to fund, she said.

After considering ideas from both students and administrators, the committee will prioritize issues based on feasibility and impact on student life, Lopez said.