Norris name change still many steps from finished

Norris University Center has a long way to go before it can become Norris Student Union.

Associated Student Government took the first step Wednesday by passing a resolution in support of the measure, but the name change still must pass through several channels. Northwestern officials must examine NU’s contractual obligations to the Norris family, said Norris Director Bill Johnston.

Proponents of the resolution extolled the proposal Wednesday for its symbolic meaning for students and potential impact on fund-raising for a $23 million Norris expansion. Joel Richlin, ASG’s campus public relations chairman, said people would be more likely to donate to a “student union” than to a “university center.”

Johnston and Ebo Dawson-Andoh, co-chairman of the Norris Center Advisory Board, said they thought the change would appeal more to recent graduates who attended NU when Norris became representative of a student union.

“It’s aimed at younger alumni,” said Dawson-Andoh, an Education senior.

Some senators argued that the change would cost too much money, but Johnston said he did not think cost would be a problem.

“Documents get printed anyway,” he said. “I don’t think that’s a big issue.”

Johnston said the expansion is sorely needed for a larger ballroom for Dance Marathon, expanded dining space and two theaters.

“Theater groups deserve something better than Shanley falling down around their ears,” Johnston said. “(NU theater) is one of the best programs in the country.”

ASG President Rachel Lopez spoke of this pressing need for funds at Wednesday’s meeting, citing the small portion of Campaign Northwestern money dedicated to Norris expansion last year.

“It’s very important to consider what other people think,” said Lopez, a Weinberg senior.

Johnston said there is not yet any indication of a contractual issue regarding the building’s name and the Norris family.

“We are checking to see what the implications of this would be,” Johnston said. “When donors give funds for something there are explicit specifications about the nature of that gift.”

The resolution’s first trip will be to the Norris Center Advisory Board, where Richlin will present it at the next meeting, Dawson-Andoh said.

He spoke on behalf of the resolution in Senate and the board’s other co-chairman, Jeff Fine, signed the legislation before it appeared in front of ASG.

If the board approves the proposal, it will then go on to William Banis, vice president of student affairs, who would then pass it on to the Board of Trustees, Johnston said.

The Board of Trustees passed the original measure that named the building, so the final decision is in its hands, Johnston said.

“Even if the Norris family supported that, it would still take a Board of Trustees action to change the name,” Johnston said.