A dose of the Dalai Lama

Tsering Tashi Phuri appears as unassuming as the small white sign that hangs over the front window of his new Evanston store, TIBETgift. This three-year Chicago resident, however, has a storied past.

Phuri, 51, who was exiled from Tibet at the age of six, founded Chicago’s TIBETcenter in 1999. He collected Tibetan goods in his home, and this year he decided to open a storefront.

“From our basement we sold many Tibetan items,” Phuri said. “People, mostly Americans, would come and thank me for selling these goods. Our inventory grew so big that we realized we could open an actual store.”

TIBETgift opens today at 827 Foster St., next to the El. Among the items for sale in the small shop — the only one of its kind in the Chicago area — are books, carpets, decorations and other artifacts.

When Phuri’s family fled Tibet in 1960, he hardly imagined he would open a shop in Evanston.

“We lost our country when it was invaded by Communist China,” Phuri said. “The Dalai Lama sought asylum in India and my family followed him there. Many Tibetans on the eastern side wanted to escape but couldn’t and suffered under the Communists.”

Phuri’s family made their home in a small Indian town near New Delhi where the exiled Tibetan government was established.

After graduation from Madras Christian College, Phuri was hired by the Dalai Lama as the managing trustee for his charitable fund. He continued to work for the Dalai Lama for 20 years.

But in 1998 the U.S. government started an immigration program to resettle Tibetan families. Phuri decided to apply for the program so his children could have better opportunities, he said.

“One thousand families were distributed around various cities in the U.S.,” Phuri said. “Our family was drawn from a lottery and placed in Chicago.”

Phuri’s involvement with Tibet didn’t end with his arrival in America. Soon after, he decided to create a non-profit organization dedicated to Tibetan culture.

“I began the TIBETcenter with no funding, only the blessing of (the Dalai Lama),” he said.

The center was officially inaugurated at Loyola University one year after Phuri’s arrival in the United States. It sponsors exhibitions, performances, lectures, workshops and seminars about Tibet.

Prior to Phuri’s founding of the center, the Dalai Lama sent a blessing that praised his work in America.

“I have always admired people who dedicate their time and energy toward the service of the larger Tibetan interests and goals,” the statement read.

The Rev. Bob Thompson of Lake Street Church in Evanston is one of many supporters of Phuri and the TIBETcenter. Thompson, who also is the chairman of the Council for the Parliament of the World’s Religions, said Phuri helped him learn about Tibetan culture and the Buddhist faith.

Thompson said TIBETgifts will help visitors value Tibetan culture and introduce them to a new spiritual experience.

“Aside from the content of Tibetan Buddhism, Tibetan artifacts are wonderful from an artistic standpoint as well,” he said. “I’m going to Tashi’s store for all my Christmas shopping.”

Billie Topa Tate, founder of Evanston’s Mystical Sciences Institute, is a sponsor of TIBETcenter and helped Phuri raise money to open his store in Evanston.

“(Mystical Sciences does) a lot of self-improvement activities along the lines of Tibetan teachings,” Tate said. “We always supported Tashi’s work and helped him raise money for his target goal, a permanent site.”

After enough funds were raised, Phuri chose Evanston as his store’s home after researching the Chicago area, he said.

“It’s a more well-read community,” Phuri said. “Residents are interested in the political situation of Tibet and want to know about the history and culture.”

Phuri said he hopes the store will host speakers and other Tibet-related workshops eventually. The store will be an extension of TIBETcenter’s goal of promoting an understanding of his homeland, he said.

“When art from Tibet goes into American homes and on walls, a great importance is attached,” he said. “Our ultimate goal is to promote Tibetan arts and culture. That is what we hope this shop will help accomplish.”