Campus, city batten down for arrival of NU families

College and home life will collide this weekend for many Northwestern students.

As Family Weekend approaches, students say they look forward to catching up with their mom and dad over fine Evanston cuisine — and not having to pay for it.

“I’m excited,” said Jimmy Martenson, a Weinberg freshman. “I haven’t seen my parents in a month, so it will be nice to see them and find out what is happening back home.”

Family members can check in Friday or Saturday at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall, where they will receive an updated schedule for the weekend and information about Evanston.

Student Transitions Coordinator Jennifer Meyers expects about 300 to 500 parents to register.

However, she said it is difficult to count, because not everyone will check in or participate in the prearranged activities.

Friday is set aside for information sessions on study abroad, the Greek system, prospective student siblings and career opportunities.

Friday night activities include music concerts, a theatrical performance and an art exhibit.

Many of the activities, especially in the evening, were not scheduled specifically for Family Weekend, Meyers said.

“It is an opportunity for parents to become more acquainted with the Northwestern community and all the activities and opportunities it has to offer,” she said.

Saturday will begin with a speech from University President Henry Bienen. Afterward, the Wildcat Alley tailgate will provide food, entertainment, games and free beer for visiting families before the football game against Indiana University. The tailgate is on the baseball fields north of Ryan Field.

Like many students, Weinberg sophomore Dave Edwards is planning to go to the football game and eat out with his parents and little brother, but he has little intention of taking further part in Family Weekend activities.

“This is a special weekend set aside for Northwestern family,” Meyers said. “If they choose to participate in our planned activities, that’s great. If they choose to go out and about in the greater Chicagoland area, that’s fine too. It is all about spending time with their student.”

Weinberg sophomore Thomas Rogerson is disappointed that his parents are not coming to Evanston this weekend, but that they came last year.

“I remember walking through The Arch and them saying how much it reminded them of their years at university,” he said. “This summer I got to visit their own university and I got to see how college life is the same wherever you are.”