After charity snafu, DM revises process

Dance Marathon will revise its charity selection process after its leaders earlier this week switched the event’s primary beneficiary because of the charity’s questionable religious associations, said Zack Hall, the philanthropy’s co-chairman.

“We haven’t made a decision yet on whether a faith-based charity could be a beneficiary,” said Hall, a Communication senior. “I think our biggest concern will be fully researching a charity in regards to the level of comfort that students will have.”

Although DM leaders have not begun to discuss future changes, Hall said student opinion will continue to be the most important factor in choosing a beneficiary.

On Monday night, DM announced the change in beneficiary, four months into planning, from the Midtown Educational Foundation to the Chicago Urban Youth Scholarship Fund, a program that gives college tuition to low-income students. The same students who would participate in Midtown still will receive DM funds through these scholarships.

Hall cited students’ discomfort with Midtown’s religious associations as the main reason for the switch. The original beneficiary was founded on the principles of the Roman Catholic Church and Opus Dei, a conservative sect of the church.

Opus Dei has come under scrutiny for its extreme ideologies regarding women’s roles in society, alleged intolerance of other religions and aggressive campaigns to attract new members.

Many people also accuse Opus Dei of promoting extremist, right-wing politics.

Some students approached the DM co-chairpersons this fall with concern about Opus Dei’s influence on Midtown, Hall said.

Midtown Executive Director Phil Brach, said the charity is influenced by Opus Dei, but on a ideological rather than operational level.

“(Midtown) is its own corporate institution with its own board of directors and board of trustees,” Brach said. “Opus Dei insures the moral integrity of the organization. It’s a good housekeeping seal of approval.”

He said Midtown is open to people of all faiths and is “faith-inspired,” not “faith-based.”

Brach compared Midtown and Opus Dei to the religious founding of Habitat for Humanity.

Although that initiative developed from Christian principles, building houses for the economically disadvantaged is very secular, he said.

Midtown emphasizes one-on-one attention, a tenet of Opus Dei teaching, but the Catholic faith does not constantly permeate the organization’s actions.

But because DM leaders did not want students to feel uncomfortable with the organization, they met with Midtown to redirect the philanthropy’s funds.

“Enough students expressed concern or discomfort with the charity that we knew we needed to do something,” Hall said.

Dancer registration began Thursday, and as of 4 p.m., about half of the dancer spots had been filled, according to Hall.

“That’s a very good response,” he said.

Students involved in DM said they were not affected by the change.

“It sounds like the money is still going to the students for college scholarships,” said Avanti Lal, a Communication sophomore on DM’s dancer relations committee. “I thought it was weird that after a beneficiary was chosen, they decided to redirect the money. But I think the cause is still the same, so I don’t really have a problem with it.”

Despite the controversy, some students said they appreciated the change, because it avoided unnecessary exclusion.

“It will be easier to put a very diverse campus behind a non-religious charity,” said Katie Heyns, Willard Hall’s DM chairwoman. “There are all these different religions and viewpoints (on campus). … I understand where they’re coming from.”