Homecoming in high school was a lot more fun

For me, homecoming was one of the best parts about high school. My senior year homecoming was particularly memorable.

It started early in the morning. I rolled out of bed and got my costume together for the parade. I borrowed my mother’s pink Winnie The Pooh robe. During the parade my friend and I would stand up and say things like, “I will slain thee” and then stab each other with the bubble swords I brought with. Considering we were there with the chess team, it really didn’t make sense.

After the parade was through, we all went to the football game. This was the only game I went to all year, so it was special.

So special I can’t remember whom we played or if we won. I guess I was too excited for the dance to pay attention.

My friend, Jessica, had taken pity on me and agreed to be my date. Our group met at one girl’s house to take pictures.

The best part about this was that all our parents would stand at one side of the room and we’d line up on the other and they’d snap away.

I never knew where to look or when to smile so in most of the pictures I look sort of scared and am looking out a window.

After a pleasant gorge session at Maggiano’s, we drove over to the dance.

This is where I could really shine. My friends in my group and I had all learned part of the dance from the “Beat It” video. We finally got our chance to show it off.

We lined up in a group and did it with a majority of the attendees watching.

They loved it and applauded. I however, took this applause as a signal for more so I got down and started spinning on the ground.

Most people were scared, some pretended not to see me, and I think one girl cried.

We left the dance and drove into the city to see Second City. We were all excited to see it. It was hilarious, except for the improvisation section where another group from our homecoming kept yelling out things like “vagina.”

We’d all then crash at someone’s house for one of those beloved co-ed sleep-overs. The best part was falling asleep next to my friend Aleksa just so I could make the joke to her date that I’d slept with her.

Now let’s compare that with my fondest memory of homecoming at Northwestern.

I got up at noon and seem to recall eating a hoagie. After a day’s worth of lounging, I moseyed on down to the parade. This is where the action was at.

It was a battle between the sororities over who can be the most risquՀ