College Democrats make final national push

As the Nov. 5 election approaches, the College Democrats are not content to sit at home and watch. Instead, they will knock on doors in South Dakota and Missouri.

“I’ve worked on campaigns before, but this is the trip of a lifetime,” said Alicia Pardo, treasurer of College Democrats.

Next weekend, members of the organization will travel to different areas in Missouri and South Dakota to try to sway the balance in two hotly contested Senate races.

They plan to campaign door-to-door and make phone calls. On Election Day they will act as polling judges, recording names of the Democratic voters and calling those who have yet to vote.

Previously, College Democrats have worked at Evanston polls on Election Day, but this is the first year they plan to travel cross-country for the elections.

“We’ve worked around here, and this is a way to branch out,” said Pardo, a Communication junior. “You feel like you’re making a huge difference.”

About 10 to 15 students will go to these locations. Each participant will receive a $200 stipend.

College Democrats will work with “Participation 2000,” a political action committee, along with College Democrats of America and the Young Democrats of America, a broader organization not limited to college students.

College Democrats President Tina Valkanoff said the partnership will allow participants to work on a nationally important campaign and to get to know democrats around the country.

“A Senate campaign is higher profile than a local campaign and it has some national importance,” she said. “It will be fun to get to know some other student democrats.”

Members said they look forward to expanding their horizons in the political sphere.

“It’s a very prototypical college experience, a road trip across the country,” said Valkanoff, a Weinberg senior. “We’re making the connections into the national network.

“Students will be better prepared, and there might be higher level positions come 2004.”

College Democrats members said they view South Dakota and Missouri as two of the most crucial Senate races. In both states a Democrat incumbent faces a Republican challenger.

“It’s a highly contested race in the eye of the media,” Pardo said. “It’ll make a crucial difference in policy.”

But some have questioned the purpose of the College Democrats travelling across the country instead of working here at home.

“You can be more effective where you know people better,” said Gil Gilman, campaign coordinator for the Democratic Party of Evanston.

Gilman said students benefit campaigning more by staying close to home.

“Going out of state makes sense,” he said. “These are close elections, and they’re both very important races. … But the people who are working where they live can be organizers instead of providing one body.”

According to Pardo, students in College Democrats who cannot go to Missouri or South Dakota are encouraged to work with the Democratic Party of Evanston.

Valkanoff said involvement in high-profile Senate races is invaluable.

“I don’t think it detracts from our local efforts,” she said.