ASG to hear group funding proposals tonight

After 13 hours of weekend meetings, Associated Student Government’s Student Activities Finance Board will present Senate with its recommendations for fall supplemental funding for student groups at tonight’s meeting.

Many groups requested less money than usual, said Le’Jamiel Goodall, ASG’s financial vice president. He attributed the decrease to the Spring Quarter increase in the Student Activities Fee, which enabled ASG to provide many groups with the bulk of what they sought last spring.

“Requests were not as heavy this time around,” said Goodall, a Communication senior. “On the whole, people asked for less because they needed less.”

The money for this round of funding comes from three areas: student group event revenues, groups that did not spend all of their allocated funds and the 5 percent of the Student Activities Fee set aside during spring funding. Senators will receive funding breakdowns for each group tonight and next week will debate whether to approve, cut or increase SAFB’s recommendations.

Niteskool Productions, which was not awarded any money in the spring for its annual CD, applied for supplemental funding to purchase more speaker equipment so it can throw “bigger and better concerts,” said Li-Wei Chu, who heads the committee responsible for finding bands.

“Considering how viciously ASG cut our funding last year, it seems reasonable that they should give us supplemental funding for our basic needs,” said Chu, a Communication sophomore.

The group’s appeal of almost $1,900 includes a $1,600 request for funds to hold a Winter Quarter concert featuring NU and Chicago-area bands, said Danielle Ongart, Niteskool’s executive director.

ASG also will debate the two bills introduced at last week’s meeting about instant runoff voting for its campuswide election in the spring and providing undergraduates with safety whistles.

In addition, a bill proposed by ASG President Rachel Lopez and ASG Public Relations Chairman Joel Richlin will be introduced. The bill aims to change the name of Norris University Center to Norris Student Union.

“We think it’s symbolic of a larger precedent that the center should be a student center,” said Lopez, a Weinberg senior.

Lopez said implementing the name change would be a complicated process requiring, but ASG already has the support of Norris Director Bill Johnston.