ASG to discuss proposed new system for spring election, whistles for safety

Associated Student Government tonight will introduce fall’s first legislation, which will focus on revamping spring elections to eliminate runoff elections and equipping students with safety whistles.

In hopes of increasing voter turnout and condensing the election process, Campus Greens President Kristina Berta will introduce a bill that would create an instant runoff if no candidate receives a majority of the vote.

At schools with instant runoffs, voters can rank the candidates for each position instead of just placing a vote for one. When the election ends, all first-place votes are tallied. But if no candidate receives a majority, a runoff between the two candidates with the highest percentage of votes will take place using voters’ rankings.

The ballots in which the final two candidates were not listed as a first choice are reviewed through a computer system, and whatever candidate is ranked higher receives that ballot’s vote. The candidate who reaches a majority is declared the winner.

“It’s an issue of expediency and getting the greatest voter turnout,” said Jason Warren, ASG’s rules chairman. “This way we don’t have to worry about getting students to vote again.”

But in the 2002 runoff elections, 3,455 students voted, 217 more than the 3,238 who voted in the first campuswide election.

Berta said she would like to see instant runoff voting introduced into the national political arena in hopes of increasing turnout for third-party candidates but for now will be pleased with bringing it to Northwestern.

“I’ve received a lot of positive feedback,” said Berta, a Weinberg senior. “This should increase choices and voter turnout.”

Berta also said the format is an effective deterrent to “dirty campaigning,” because candidates will be less willing to attack an opponent for fear of losing the second place vote of the opponent’s supporters.

Senators also will see legislation proposing to arm students with safety whistles that they could blow to attract attention if they are in danger.

Shepard Residential College Sen. Jonathan Marino planned to introduce the whistles to the NU community before he arrived on campus, he said. NU is the only Big Ten school that does not hand out whistles, he said.

Marino said he has talked to various members of the NU community while preparing the bill and received support from all.

“I’ve talked to other senators and even people like (Vice President for Student Affairs) William Banis and (University) Police Chief Saul Chafin,” said Marino, a Weinberg freshman. “Everyone I’ve encountered has been very helpful.”

Although Marino came up with the idea before the school year began, he said the need for whistles has been amplified by the recent armed robberies near campus.

“The attacks make the issue all the more relevant,” Marino said.